This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: For which client is the use of nitrofurantoin (Furadantin) contraindicated? 1. The client who ... (Read 13 times)

B

For which client is the use of nitrofurantoin (Furadantin) contraindicated?

1. The client who needs a rescue inhaler for asthma three times a week
  2. The client who has pernicious anemia
  3. The client who developed nausea the last time she took the drug
  4. The client who had hepatitis A 10 years ago

Question 2

Which statement indicates that a client understands the reason for the need to drink approximately 3 liters of fluid while taking trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole (TMP-SMZ)?

1. I need to drink a lot of fluids to keep my bladder full.
  2. I need to drink a lot of fluids to flush the bacteria out of my bladder.
  3. I need to drink a lot of fluids to prevent crystals from forming in my urine.
  4. I need to drink a lot of fluids to prevent an allergy from developing.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

abctaiwan

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 1
Rationale 1: Nitrofurantoins are contraindicated in clients with preexisting pulmonary disorders such as poorly controlled asthma.
Rationale 2: Clients with pernicious anemia are not affected by nitrofurantoin. Sulfonamides are contraindicated in clients with pernicious anemia.
Rationale 3: Nausea is a common side effect in clients who take nitrofurantoin, and would not contraindicate the use of this medication again.
Rationale 4: Nitrofurantoins are contraindicated in clients with liver dysfunction. A client who had hepatitis A 10 years also could have liver dysfunction, but most clients recover without liver dysfunction.
Global Rationale: This drug should be used with caution in patients with preexisting pulmonary disease, and pulmonary function should be closely monitored throughout therapy. Although rare, reports have cited diffuse interstitial pneumonitis or pulmonary fibrosis as causes of death in patients receiving nitrofurantoin. Clients with pernicious anemia are not affected by nitrofurantoin. Sulfonamides are contraindicated in clients with pernicious anemia. Nausea is a common side effect in clients who take nitrofurantoin, and would not contraindicate the use of this medication again. Nitrofurantoins are contraindicated in clients with liver dysfunction. A client who had hepatitis A 10 years also could have liver dysfunction, but most clients recover without liver dysfunction.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 3
Rationale 1: Drinking extra fluids will create more of a need to void, but keeping the bladder full is not necessary or wanted.
Rationale 2: Fluids do not flush the bacteria out of the system. The sulfonamides are responsible for slowing the bacterial growth of the uropathogens.
Rationale 3: Clients must drink extra fluids to prevent crystalluria that can potentially obstruct the kidneys or urethra.
Rationale 4: Drinking extra fluids does not prevent a hypersensitivity reaction.
Global Rationale: Sulfonamides have a low solubility, which may cause crystalluria, crystals that form in the urine and potentially obstruct the kidneys or ureters. The risk is higher in dehydrated patients and when urine pH is abnormally low. To decrease the possibility of crystalluria, fluids in amounts up to 3,000 mL per day should be encouraged to achieve a urinary output of 1,500 mL in 24 hours. It is not necessary to keep the bladder full and drinking fluids will not prevent a hypersensitivity reaction. Fluids do not flush the bacteria out of the system.

abctaiwan

Did you know?

About 3% of all pregnant women will give birth to twins, which is an increase in rate of nearly 60% since the early 1980s.

Did you know?

Human neurons are so small that they require a microscope in order to be seen. However, some neurons can be up to 3 feet long, such as those that extend from the spinal cord to the toes.

Did you know?

Women are 50% to 75% more likely than men to experience an adverse drug reaction.

Did you know?

Patients who have been on total parenteral nutrition for more than a few days may need to have foods gradually reintroduced to give the digestive tract time to start working again.

Did you know?

Chronic marijuana use can damage the white blood cells and reduce the immune system's ability to respond to disease by as much as 40%. Without a strong immune system, the body is vulnerable to all kinds of degenerative and infectious diseases.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library