This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The health care provider asks the nurse to tell a client that tests confirm the client has a health ... (Read 34 times)

Redwolflake15

The health care provider asks the nurse to tell a client that tests confirm the client has a health careassociated infection (HAI). The nurse explains to the client that common sources of HAIs include:

Standard Text: Select all that apply.
  1. the respiratory tract.
  2. the urinary tract.
  3. intravascular (IV) lines.
  4. visitors with infectious illness.
  5. drug-resistant bacteria.

Question 2

The community outreach nurse is teaching a group of older clients how bacterial organisms become resistant to antibiotics. Which statements by the clients demonstrate understanding of the instruction?

Standard Text: Select all that apply.
  1. I need to get the recommended immunizations so I don't get an infection and need an antibiotic.
  2. If possible, my doctor will need to culture any infections I have to make sure I am taking the correct antibiotics.
  3. I need to take antibiotics only when my health care provider thinks I have an infection.
  4. As soon as my infection is gone, I can stop the antibiotic. This way, I'll avoid becoming resistant to the antibiotic.
  5. I should never take an antibiotic for more than 10 days. This is what causes resistance.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

SamMuagrove

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 1,2,3
Rationale 1: Bacteria residing in the lungs are a source of HAIs.
Rationale 2: Bacteria residing in the genitourinary tract are a source of HAIs.
Rationale 3: Invasive devices such as IV lines are a source of HAIs.
Rationale 4: HAIs are infections that are acquired in a health care setting, not caused by visitors.
Rationale 5: Drug-resistant bacteria may be the result, not the source, of HAIs.
Global Rationale: HAIs are generally from one of four sources: patient flora, invasive devices, medical personnel, or the medical environment. Invasive devices are often inserted into the respiratory system and the GU system.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 1,2,3
Rationale 1: It is easier to prevent an infection than it is to treat one.
Rationale 2: The causative organism must be identified and the correct antibiotic prescribed. This will lower the risk of developing resistance.
Rationale 3: The unwarranted use of antibiotics has promoted the development of drug-resistant bacteria.
Rationale 4: Antibiotics must be taken for the entire prescribed time. This will help prevent the development of resistant bacteria.
Rationale 5: Some antibiotics must be taken for longer than 10 days. It is important to take an antibiotic for the prescribed duration.
Global Rationale: Methods of delaying the emergence of antibiotic resistance include preventing infections when possible, diagnosing and treating infections properly, using antimicrobials wisely, and preventing disease transmission.

Redwolflake15

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

carlsona147

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

A cataract is a clouding of the eyes' natural lens. As we age, some clouding of the lens may occur. The first sign of a cataract is usually blurry vision. Although glasses and other visual aids may at first help a person with cataracts, surgery may become inevitable. Cataract surgery is very successful in restoring vision, and it is the most frequently performed surgery in the United States.

Did you know?

According to the Migraine Research Foundation, migraines are the third most prevalent illness in the world. Women are most affected (18%), followed by children of both sexes (10%), and men (6%).

Did you know?

People about to have surgery must tell their health care providers about all supplements they take.

Did you know?

A headache when you wake up in the morning is indicative of sinusitis. Other symptoms of sinusitis can include fever, weakness, tiredness, a cough that may be more severe at night, and a runny nose or nasal congestion.

Did you know?

In most cases, kidneys can recover from almost complete loss of function, such as in acute kidney (renal) failure.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library