This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A client recently started on chemotherapy states, The doctor told me my stem cells were down. A stem ... (Read 85 times)

Sufayan.ah

A client recently started on chemotherapy states, The doctor told me my stem cells were down. A stem cell sounds like something on a flower What did the doctor mean? Which response by the nurse provides the best explanation?

1. Stem cells are found in your bone marrow. They can turn into red blood cells, white blood cells, or platelets, depending on what your body needs at the time. Right now, your body is producing fewer than it should.
  2. Did the oncology nurse give you a copy of the pamphlet that discusses the unwanted effects of chemotherapy?
  3. Bone marrow depression is a common side effect of chemotherapy, but it can be treated.
  4. The complete blood count you had yesterday showed a decrease in the number of stem cells. Your doctor is keeping you informed.

Question 2

A client has been taking oral anticoagulant therapy for a number of years secondary to atrial fibrillation. Which client statement alerts the nurse to assess more closely for the development of drug-induced hepatitis?

Standard Text: Select all that apply.
  1. I seem to be making more urine that normal.
  2. My stools are a funny light yellow color.
  3. I need an ointment to keep my skin from itching so much.
  4. My legs hurt when I walk very far.
  5. I seem to be very thirsty most of the time.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Carissamariew

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 1
Rationale 1: Stem cells are located in the bone marrow. They can differentiate into several cell lines, depending on the body's requirements.
Rationale 2: Making a query to get more information is a good technique to clarify a client's question if the question itself is unclear. In this case, the client heard what the doctor said but did not understand it.
Rationale 3: It is true that bone marrow depression is common with chemotherapy, but the statement does not answer the client's question.
Rationale 4: Information about the client's complete blood count does not answer the client's question about stem cells.
Global Rationale: Stem cells are located in the bone marrow. They can differentiate into several cell lines, depending on the body's requirements. Making a query to get more information is a good technique to clarify a client's question if the question itself is unclear. In this case, the client heard what the doctor said but did not understand it. It is true that bone marrow depression is common with chemotherapy, but the statement does not answer the client's question. Information about the client's complete blood count does not answer the client's question about stem cells.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 2,3
Rationale 1: Increased urine output is not associated with drug-induced hepatitis.
Rationale 2: Clay-colored stools are indicative of liver changes.
Rationale 3: Itchy skin can be associated with hepatitis.
Rationale 4: Intermittent claudication is not associated with hepatitis.
Rationale 5: Increased thirst is not associated with hepatitis.
Global Rationale: Clay-colored stools are indicative of liver changes. Itchy skin can be associated with hepatitis. Increased urine output, intermittent claudication, and increased thirst are not associated with drug-induced hepatitis.

Did you know?

Normal urine is sterile. It contains fluids, salts, and waste products. It is free of bacteria, viruses, and fungi.

Did you know?

Anti-aging claims should not ever be believed. There is no supplement, medication, or any other substance that has been proven to slow or stop the aging process.

Did you know?

Eating food that has been cooked with poppy seeds may cause you to fail a drug screening test, because the seeds contain enough opiate alkaloids to register as a positive.

Did you know?

The most common treatment options for addiction include psychotherapy, support groups, and individual counseling.

Did you know?

The first war in which wide-scale use of anesthetics occurred was the Civil War, and 80% of all wounds were in the extremities.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library