This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is monitoring for the development of thrombocytopenia in a client receiving heparin ... (Read 74 times)

EAugust

The nurse is monitoring for the development of thrombocytopenia in a client receiving heparin therapy. The nurse determines that thrombocytopenia has occurred when the platelet count drops below ______ mm3.

Standard Text: Record your answer using a whole number.
  Fill in the blank with the appropriate word.

Question 2

A client is maintained on warfarin (Coumadin) therapy secondary to refractory atrial fibrillation. Which statement by the client would alert the nurse to a possible problem with this therapy?

1. I have started taking a vitamin C supplement to prevent colds this winter.
  2. I am learning to use olive oil in my cooking.
  3. I've stopped drinking coffee and now drink decaffeinated green tea.
  4. I have a big glass of grapefruit juice with my breakfast every day.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

chinwesucks

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 150,000
Rationale: Thrombocytopenia occurs when the platelet count falls below 150,000mm3.
Global Rationale: Thrombocytopenia occurs when the platelet count falls below 150,000mm3.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 3
Rationale 1: There is no adverse drugdrug interaction between warfarin and vitamin C.
Rationale 2: There is no adverse fooddrug interaction between warfarin and olive oil.
Rationale 3: Drinking green tea while taking warfarin may increase the risk of bleeding.
Rationale 4: There is no adverse fooddrug interaction between grapefruit juice and warfarin.
Global Rationale: Drinking green tea while taking warfarin may increase the risk of bleeding. There is no adverse drugdrug interaction between warfarin and vitamin C, olive oil, or grapefruit juice.

Did you know?

The cure for trichomoniasis is easy as long as the patient does not drink alcoholic beverages for 24 hours. Just a single dose of medication is needed to rid the body of the disease. However, without proper precautions, an individual may contract the disease repeatedly. In fact, most people develop trichomoniasis again within three months of their last treatment.

Did you know?

Studies show that systolic blood pressure can be significantly lowered by taking statins. In fact, the higher the patient's baseline blood pressure, the greater the effect of statins on his or her blood pressure.

Did you know?

The Romans did not use numerals to indicate fractions but instead used words to indicate parts of a whole.

Did you know?

You should not take more than 1,000 mg of vitamin E per day. Doses above this amount increase the risk of bleeding problems that can lead to a stroke.

Did you know?

Always store hazardous household chemicals in their original containers out of reach of children. These include bleach, paint, strippers and products containing turpentine, garden chemicals, oven cleaners, fondue fuels, nail polish, and nail polish remover.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library