Author Question: A client is prescribed oral verapamil (Calan) for the treatment of atrial fibrillation. Which ... (Read 23 times)

Brittanyd9008

A client is prescribed oral verapamil (Calan) for the treatment of atrial fibrillation. Which statement indicates that the client understands the medication teaching provided by the nurse?

1. I should not take the medication with grapefruit.
  2. This medication will slow my heart rate so I will not get so fatigued.
  3. This medication will allow my heart to go back into normal, regular rhythm.
  4. Taking this medication might cause me to need a pacemaker.

Question 2

A client diagnosed with atrial fibrillation is prescribed a calcium channel blocker to help control the ventricular rate. The nurse plans to monitor the client's cardiac rhythm strip for which change?

1. Widening of the QRS complex
  2. Widening of the QT interval
  3. Inverted T waves
  4. Prolongation of the PR interval

uniquea123

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 2
Rationale 1: There is no drugfood interaction between verapamil and grapefruit.
Rationale 2: Calcium channel blockers like verapamil prolong the PR interval, thereby controlling ventricular rate in cases of atrial fibrillation.
Rationale 3: Verapamil (Calan) slows ventricular rate but is unlikely to cause conversion to normal sinus rhythm.
Rationale 4: If the heart rate became too slow due to the effects of the calcium channel blocker, then the medication would be discontinued. It would be a rare emergency for the heart rate to get so low that a pacemaker would be necessary.
Global Rationale: Calcium channel blockers like verapamil prolong the PR interval, thereby controlling ventricular rate in cases of atrial fibrillation. There is no drugfood interaction between verapamil and grapefruit. Verapamil (Calan) slows ventricular rate but is unlikely to cause conversion to normal sinus rhythm. If the heart rate became too slow due to the effects of the calcium channel blocker, then the medication would be discontinued. It would be a rare emergency for the heart rate to get so low that a pacemaker would be necessary.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 4
Rationale 1: Calcium channel blockers do not widen the QRS.
Rationale 2: Calcium channel blockers do not widen the QT.
Rationale 3: Calcium channel blockers do not cause T wave changes.
Rationale 4: Prolonging the refractory period by calcium channel blockade causes prolongation of the PR interval.
Global Rationale: Prolonging the refractory period by calcium channel blockade causes prolongation of the PR interval. Calcium channel blockers do not widen the QRS or the QT and they don't cause T wave changes.