This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A client prescribed bumetanide (Bumex) asks the nurse, What is all this about 'loops' in my ... (Read 18 times)

jace

A client prescribed bumetanide (Bumex) asks the nurse, What is all this about 'loops' in my medicine? Which response by the nurse is the most appropriate?

1. This medication reabsorbs potassium in Henle's loop in your kidney.
  2. This medication blocks sodium reabsorption in what is known as Bowman's capsule.
  3. This is a loop diuretic, which refers to the location where it acts in your kidneys.
  4. This is a loop diuretic, which means it works in the proximal tubule of your kidney.

Question 2

The nurse is teaching a client about spironolactone (Aldactone), and recognizes which statement as an indication that the client needs further teaching about this drug?

1. I am really happy that I can have my cranberry juice.
  2. I am relieved that I do not have to give up my cabbage and mushrooms.
  3. Thank goodness I can still have my orange juice and bananas for breakfast.
  4. I need an apple a day to stay regular. I am glad I can still have this.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

mcarey591

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 3
Rationale 1: Bumetanide (Bumex) causes potassium excretion.
Rationale 2: Bumetanide (Bumex) does not work at the level of Bowman's capsule.
Rationale 3: Bumetanide (Bumex) promotes sodium loss at Henle's loop, which leads to diuresis.
Rationale 4: Bumetanide (Bumex) works at the level of Henle's loop.
Global Rationale: Bumetanide (Bumex) promotes sodium loss at Henle's loop, which leads to diuresis. Bumetanide (Bumex) causes potassium excretion. Bumetanide (Bumex) does not work at the level of Bowman's capsule. Bumetanide (Bumex) works at the level of Henle's loop.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 3
Rationale 1: Cranberries are low in potassium.
Rationale 2: These foods are low in potassium.
Rationale 3: Orange juice and bananas are rich in potassium and should be avoided by persons taking spironolactone (Aldactone), which is a potassium-sparing diuretic.
Rationale 4: Apples are low in potassium.
Global Rationale: Orange juice and bananas are rich in potassium and should be avoided by persons taking spironolactone (Aldactone), which is a potassium-sparing diuretic. Cranberries, cabbage, mushrooms, and apples are low in potassium.

jace

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Excellent

T4T

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

Individuals are never “cured” of addictions. Instead, they learn how to manage their disease to lead healthy, balanced lives.

Did you know?

Adults are resistant to the bacterium that causes Botulism. These bacteria thrive in honey – therefore, honey should never be given to infants since their immune systems are not yet resistant.

Did you know?

In the United States, an estimated 50 million unnecessary antibiotics are prescribed for viral respiratory infections.

Did you know?

In most cases, kidneys can recover from almost complete loss of function, such as in acute kidney (renal) failure.

Did you know?

Most women experience menopause in their 50s. However, in 1994, an Italian woman gave birth to a baby boy when she was 61 years old.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library