This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: Niacin and aspirin have been prescribed for a client diagnosed with hyperlipidemia. Which statement ... (Read 23 times)

Alainaaa8

Niacin and aspirin have been prescribed for a client diagnosed with hyperlipidemia. Which statement regarding why this drug combination is prescribed is the most accurate?

1. A common side effect of niacin therapy is joint pain.
  2. Taking niacin and aspirin together increases the therapeutic effect of niacin.
  3. Aspirin can decrease discomfort associated with niacin therapy.
  4. Severe headaches are common during the early weeks of niacin therapy.

Question 2

Which statement indicates that a client understands teaching about avorstatin (Lipitor)?

1. I should always take this drug on an empty stomach.
  2. I should stop taking this drug if I decide to try to become pregnant.
  3. I might have to increase my dose of digoxin.
  4. I should take this drug with breakfast.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

makaylafy

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 3
Rationale 1: Joint pain is not associated with nicotinic acid therapy.
Rationale 2: There is no pharmacodynamic interaction between nicotinic acid and aspirin.
Rationale 3: One aspirin tablet administered 30 minutes before a dose of niacin might minimize the frequent side effect of flushing associated with niacin.
Rationale 4: Flushing associated with nicotinic acid involves peripheral vasculature, not vasculature in the brain.
Global Rationale: One aspirin tablet administered 30 minutes before a dose of niacin might minimize the frequent side effect of flushing associated with niacin. Joint pain is not associated with nicotinic acid therapy. There is no pharmacodynamic interaction between nicotinic acid and aspirin. Flushing associated with nicotinic acid involves peripheral vasculature, not vasculature in the brain.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 2
Rationale 1: The drug may be taken without regard to meals.
Rationale 2: Avorstatin is a pregnancy category X drug, and should be avoided by women of childbearing age who might become pregnant.
Rationale 3: Avorstatin (Lipitor) can significantly increase serum digoxin levels. Clients taking avorstatin (Lipitor) might need to decrease their dose of digoxin and should have digoxin levels monitored frequently.
Rationale 4: Because cholesterol synthesis increases at night, drugs to treat lipid disorders are more effective if taken at bedtime rather than in the morning.
Global Rationale: Avorstatin is a pregnancy category X drug, and should be avoided by women of childbearing age who might become pregnant. The drug may be taken without regard to meals. Avorstatin (Lipitor) can significantly increase serum digoxin levels. Clients taking avorstatin (Lipitor) might need to decrease their dose of digoxin and should have digoxin levels monitored frequently. Because cholesterol synthesis increases at night, drugs to treat lipid disorders are more effective if taken at bedtime rather than in the morning.

Alainaaa8

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Great answer, keep it coming :)

triiciiaa

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

Did you know?

The top five reasons that children stay home from school are as follows: colds, stomach flu (gastroenteritis), ear infection (otitis media), pink eye (conjunctivitis), and sore throat.

Did you know?

The lipid bilayer is made of phospholipids. They are arranged in a double layer because one of their ends is attracted to water while the other is repelled by water.

Did you know?

There are more sensory neurons in the tongue than in any other part of the body.

Did you know?

When blood is deoxygenated and flowing back to the heart through the veins, it is dark reddish-blue in color. Blood in the arteries that is oxygenated and flowing out to the body is bright red. Whereas arterial blood comes out in spurts, venous blood flows.

Did you know?

Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus or MRSA was discovered in 1961 in the United Kingdom. It if often referred to as a superbug. MRSA infections cause more deaths in the United States every year than AIDS.

Methicilli ...

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library