This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is performing medication teaching for a client after surgery. The nurse explains that the ... (Read 21 times)

bcretired

The nurse is performing medication teaching for a client after surgery. The nurse explains that the client will go home on tramadol, a nonopioid analgesic, for pain management. The client states, I can't take that, I'm allergic to NSAIDs.

How should the nurse respond?
  1. Tramadol is an NSAID that doesn't cause GI bleeds, so you should be OK.
  2. Are you sure? I don't see that allergy listed.
  3. Not all nonopioids are NSAIDs. Tramadol is not an NSAID.
  4. Then you will probably have to stay on a low dose of your opioid analgesic.

Question 2

The nurse plans care for the client receiving nonopioid analgesic drugs based on which benefit these drugs have over opioids?

1. Lower risk of dependency
  2. Few or no GI side effects
  3. Cost-effectiveness
  4. No risk of dizziness or hallucinations

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Harbringer

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 3
Rationale 1: Tramadol is not an NSAID. Also, not all clients are allergic to NSAIDs because of GI side effects.
Rationale 2: This does not answer the client's question or address the concern correctly.
Rationale 3: Not all nonopioids are NSAIDs. Tramadol is not an NSAID, and the client will be able to take the drug.
Rationale 4: Not all nonopioids are classified as NSAIDs. The client does not need to stay on an opioid.
Global Rationale: Not all nonopioids are NSAIDs. Tramadol is not an NSAID, and the client will be able to take the drug. Tramadol is not an NSAID. Also, not all clients are allergic to NSAIDs because of GI side effects. Asking the client if he/she is sure there is an allergy does not answer the client's question or address the concern correctly. Not all nonopioids are classified as NSAIDs. The client does not need to stay on an opioid.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 1
Rationale 1: Nonopioid drugs have a lower risk of dependency than do opioid drugs.
Rationale 2: Both opioid and nonopioid drugs have a risk of GI side effects.
Rationale 3: Both opioid and nonopioid drugs have the same cost index.
Rationale 4: Both opioid and nonopioid drugs can cause hallucinations and dizziness.
Global Rationale: Nonopioid drugs have a lower risk of dependency than do opioid drugs. Both opioid and nonopioid drugs have a risk of GI side effects; have the same cost index; and can cause hallucinations and dizziness.

bcretired

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
:D TYSM

Joy Chen

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

The FDA recognizes 118 routes of administration.

Did you know?

The Babylonians wrote numbers in a system that used 60 as the base value rather than the number 10. They did not have a symbol for "zero."

Did you know?

More than one-third of adult Americans are obese. Diseases that kill the largest number of people annually, such as heart disease, cancer, diabetes, stroke, and hypertension, can be attributed to diet.

Did you know?

Ether was used widely for surgeries but became less popular because of its flammability and its tendency to cause vomiting. In England, it was quickly replaced by chloroform, but this agent caused many deaths and lost popularity.

Did you know?

Aspirin may benefit 11 different cancers, including those of the colon, pancreas, lungs, prostate, breasts, and leukemia.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library