This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A pregnant client says, There is a strong history of ADHD in my husband's family. What can I do to ... (Read 25 times)

bobbysung

A pregnant client says, There is a strong history of ADHD in my husband's family. What can I do to help my baby avoid developing it? How should the nurse respond?

Standard Text: Select all that apply.
  1. There is really little you can do to prevent your baby from developing ADHD, but you can watch for symptoms and get help early.
  2. Do not smoke while you are pregnant and avoid secondhand smoke.
  3. You should breast-feed your baby.
  4. Avoid situations that would expose your baby to lead or lead paint.
  5. Keep your baby's intake of sugar very low for the first 3 years of life.

Question 2

The mother of a pediatric client prescribed clonidine (Kapvay) for treatment of ADHD makes these remarks. Which statements indicate that the nurse should provide additional information about the drug?

Standard Text: Select all that apply.
  1. I'm so glad that the doctor chose a medication that won't make my child sleepy.
  2. I think my dad takes that for his high blood pressure.
  3. I can expect that the doctor will take my child off this medication for a few days every 6 months or so.
  4. I must warn my parents that Dad's clonidine cannot be substituted for the Kapvay.
  5. At least my child will not become addicted to this medication.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

heinisk01

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 2,4
Rationale 1: There are some environmental factors that can contribute to the development of ADHD. The mother could avoid those factors.
Rationale 2: Cigarette smoking by the mother during pregnancy may contribute to the development of ADHD.
Rationale 3: There is no correlation between breast-feeding and a decreased incidence of ADHD in the infant.
Rationale 4: Exposure to lead can contribute to the development of ADHD.
Rationale 5: Research studies have failed to find a strong link between sugar intake and the development of ADHD.
Global Rationale: Cigarette smoking by the mother during pregnancy may contribute to the development of ADHD. Exposure to lead can contribute to the development of ADHD. There are some environmental factors that can contribute to the development of ADHD. The mother could avoid those factors. There is no correlation between breast-feeding and a decreased incidence of ADHD in the infant. Research studies have failed to find a strong link between sugar intake and the development of ADHD.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 1,3
Rationale 1: Kapvay can cause sedation and fatigue.
Rationale 2: The original indication for clonidine was hypertension.
Rationale 3: Drug holidays are not used with Kapvay. If the medication is discontinued abruptly, rebound hypotension can occur.
Rationale 4: Kapvay is not interchangeable with other forms of clonidine.
Rationale 5: There is no risk of physical dependence with Kapvay.
Global Rationale: Kapvay can cause sedation and fatigue. Drug holidays are not used with Kapvay. If the medication is discontinued abruptly, rebound hypotension can occur. The original indication for clonidine was hypertension. Kapvay is not interchangeable with other forms of clonidine. There is no risk of physical dependence with Kapvay.

bobbysung

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Excellent

dyrone

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
:D TYSM

Did you know?

Liver spots have nothing whatsoever to do with the liver. They are a type of freckles commonly seen in older adults who have been out in the sun without sufficient sunscreen.

Did you know?

Vital signs (blood pressure, temperature, pulse rate, respiration rate) should be taken before any drug administration. Patients should be informed not to use tobacco or caffeine at least 30 minutes before their appointment.

Did you know?

Human stomach acid is strong enough to dissolve small pieces of metal such as razor blades or staples.

Did you know?

Nitroglycerin is used to alleviate various heart-related conditions, and it is also the chief component of dynamite (but mixed in a solid clay base to stabilize it).

Did you know?

After 5 years of being diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis, one every three patients will no longer be able to work.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library