This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A client is brought to the emergency department with severe hypertension, nervousness, tremors, ... (Read 18 times)

serike

A client is brought to the emergency department with severe hypertension, nervousness, tremors, tachycardia, and post-seizure.

According to the paramedics, the client was found lying next to an open bottle of amphetamine and dextroamphetamine (Adderall). The client is not coherent, but admits to taking the Adderall. The nurse should prepare to administer which treatments?
  Standard Text: Select all that apply.
  1. Chlorpromazine IV
  2. Sodium bicarbonate
  3. Flumazenil (Romazicon) IV
  4. Gastric lavage
  5. Phentolamine IV

Question 2

An adult client who is seen by the primary care provider for complaints of inability to focus and concentrate on college studies is prescribed atomozetine (Strattera).

Which client comment indicates that the nurse should provide additional information about the drug?
  1. I'll wait until I've taken the medication a few days before driving.
  2. I'll call the doctor immediately if I become jaundiced.
  3. It would be nice if my appetite were decreased with this medication, as I've been wanting to shed a few pounds.
  4. I'll continue to take melatonin at bedtime, as I have difficulty falling asleep at night.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

TheDev123

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 1,4,5
Rationale 1: Chlorpromazine IV is administered to counteract the effects of amphetamine.
Rationale 2: Sodium bicarbonate decreases the elimination of Adderall from the body.
Rationale 3: Romazicon IV is administered for overdose of benzodiazepines.
Rationale 4: The treatment of overdose with amphetamine includes gastric lavage.
Rationale 5: Phentolamine IV would be administered if the client developed severe hypertension.
Global Rationale: Chlorpromazine IV is administered to counteract the effects of amphetamine. The treatment of overdose with amphetamine includes gastric lavage. Phentolamine IV would be administered if the client developed severe hypertension. Sodium bicarbonate decreases the elimination of Adderall from the body. Romazicon IV is administered for overdose of benzodiazepines.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 4
Rationale 1: Clients should not drive until the effects of the medication are known.
Rationale 2: The health care provider should be notified immediately for jaundice, as incidences of liver injury have been noted.
Rationale 3: Atomoxetine might cause weight loss, although it is not as likely as with amphetamines.
Rationale 4: It is recommended that the client not take any herbal products while on atomoxetine.
Global Rationale: It is recommended that the client not take any herbal products while on atomoxetine. Clients should not drive until the effects of the medication are known. The health care provider should be notified immediately for jaundice, as incidences of liver injury have been noted. Atomoxetine might cause weight loss, although it is not as likely as with amphetamines.

serike

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Excellent

atrochim

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

The first oncogene was discovered in 1970 and was termed SRC (pronounced "SARK").

Did you know?

Lower drug doses for elderly patients should be used first, with titrations of the dose as tolerated to prevent unwanted drug-related pharmacodynamic effects.

Did you know?

Fungal nail infections account for up to 30% of all skin infections. They affect 5% of the general population—mostly people over the age of 70.

Did you know?

There are more sensory neurons in the tongue than in any other part of the body.

Did you know?

Approximately 25% of all reported medication errors result from some kind of name confusion.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library