This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient comes to the clinic for an appointment. The patient is to begin taking metronidazole ... (Read 18 times)

stevenposner

A patient comes to the clinic for an appointment. The patient is to begin taking metronidazole (Flagyl) for a protozoal infection. The nurse provides patient education.

What statements by the patient most indicate a need for further teaching? (Select all that apply.)
  a. I may experience nausea, diarrhea, and headache.
  b. I should report numbness in my extremities.
  c. I may experience large amounts of dilute urine.
  d. I should expect the medication to cause sores appear in my mouth.
  e. I may experience a metallic taste in my mouth.

Question 2

A patient who has just returned to the United States from a trip to a region in which malaria is endemic is admitted to the hospital.

The patient is diagnosed with malaria, high doses of mefloquine (Lariam) are prescribed for chloroquine-resistant Plasmodium falciparum. After 3 days, the nurse assigned to the patient is preparing to administer a dose of the medication when the patient begins to complain of dizziness (vertigo) and confusion and displays symptoms of psychosis. The nurse recognizes these symptoms as ______________ and should _________.
  a. findings consistent with malaria; administer the medication
  b. toxicity; hold the medication and have a blood sample drawn for measurement of the drug level
  c. an adverse effect; discontinue the medication
  d. a side effect of the medication; monitor the patient closely

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

dlook33

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C, D
The patient should expect to have dark urine, not dilute (colorless) urine; further teaching is required. The medication does not cause sores to appear in the mouth.
The patient may indeed experience nausea, diarrhea, and headache; no further teaching is required.
Numbness in the extremities should be reported, because it may indicate neurologic effects; no further teaching is required.
A metallic taste in the mouth is an expected effect of metronidazole; no further teaching is required.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
The nurse should recognize these symptoms as an adverse effect and the medication should be discontinued. These symptoms may occur with high doses of mefloquine.
The findings most commonly seen in patients with malaria are gastrointestinal disturbances, nightmares, altered vision, and headache.
There is no evidence of toxicity; an adverse effect has occurred.
The signs and symptoms are not consistent with a side effect of the medication. The intervention required is drug removal.

Did you know?

Fewer than 10% of babies are born on their exact due dates, 50% are born within 1 week of the due date, and 90% are born within 2 weeks of the date.

Did you know?

Pubic lice (crabs) are usually spread through sexual contact. You cannot catch them by using a public toilet.

Did you know?

If all the neurons in the human body were lined up, they would stretch more than 600 miles.

Did you know?

Malaria was not eliminated in the United States until 1951. The term eliminated means that no new cases arise in a country for 3 years.

Did you know?

Adolescents often feel clumsy during puberty because during this time of development, their hands and feet grow faster than their arms and legs do. The body is therefore out of proportion. One out of five adolescents actually experiences growing pains during this period.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library