This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient is being discharged to his home on enoxaparin (Lovenox) injections for treatment of deep ... (Read 28 times)

mia

A patient is being discharged to his home on enoxaparin (Lovenox) injections for treatment of deep vein thrombosis (DVT). Which of the following statements made by the patient indicates a need for further discharge teaching by the nurse?

a. I will inject the enoxaparin into the fatty tissue of my abdomen.
  b. I hate needles, but I know enoxaparin doesn't come in pill form.
  c. I will need to go to my doctor's office each day to have my blood drawn to see whether enoxaparin is working.
  d. I will call my physician immediately if I experience any uncontrollable bleeding while on enoxaparin.

Question 2

A patient applies a transdermal nitroglycerin patch at 0900. What additional instruction should be provided by the nurse regarding the patch?

a. Leave the patch in place until the following morning, when a new patch will be applied.
  b. Apply an additional patch if breakthrough anginal pain occurs.
  c. Remove the patch at 9 PM.
  d. Note the location of the patch, so that it can be reapplied in the same location to enhance absorption.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

14vl19

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
The half-life of a low-molecular-weight (LMW) heparin, such as enoxaparin, is up to six times longer than that of unfractionated heparin. Less binding to macrophages and slower clearance by the liver are also factors. Because of enoxaparin's increased bioavailability, the plasma levels of the drug are highly predictable. As a result, it can be given on a fixed schedule with no need for routine monitoring of coagulation.
Enoxaparin is administered subcutaneously (into fatty tissue), and the abdomen is a correct injection site.
LMW heparins, such as enoxaparin, are available only for subcutaneous injection.
Bleeding is the major adverse effect and should be reported if it does not cease.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
A daily patch free interval of 10 to 12 hours is recommended. This can be accomplished by applying a new patch each morning, leaving it in place for 12 to14 hours, and then removing it in the evening.
A daily patch free interval of 10 to 12 hours is recommended. This can be accomplished by applying a new patch each morning, leaving it in place for 12 to14 hours, and then removing it in the evening.
An additional patch is never indicated, because hypotension may occur.
Patches should be rotated to different areas to prevent irritation and skin breakdown.

mia

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Excellent

JCABRERA33

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

A cataract is a clouding of the eyes' natural lens. As we age, some clouding of the lens may occur. The first sign of a cataract is usually blurry vision. Although glasses and other visual aids may at first help a person with cataracts, surgery may become inevitable. Cataract surgery is very successful in restoring vision, and it is the most frequently performed surgery in the United States.

Did you know?

In 1864, the first barbiturate (barbituric acid) was synthesized.

Did you know?

The modern decimal position system was the invention of the Hindus (around 800 AD), involving the placing of numerals to indicate their value (units, tens, hundreds, and so on).

Did you know?

There are 20 feet of blood vessels in each square inch of human skin.

Did you know?

In the United States, an estimated 50 million unnecessary antibiotics are prescribed for viral respiratory infections.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library