This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient with a history of angina is admitted for outpatient cataract surgery. When asked, What ... (Read 27 times)

imanialler

A patient with a history of angina is admitted for outpatient cataract surgery. When asked, What medication do you take for the angina? she replies, It is similar to nitroglycerin, and I take it under my tongue.

See, I brought it with me. The nurse is not surprised to see
  a. isosorbide mononitrate (Imdur).
  b. amyl nitrite.
  c. nitroglycerin (Nitrostat).
  d. isosorbide (Isordil).

Question 2

A patient is being discharged with a transdermal nitroglycerin patch. Which instruction should be included in the patient education?

a. Rotate the patches on nonhairy areas of your body.
  b. Apply the patch to the same site every day to maintain consistent drug absorption.
  c. If you get a headache, remove the patch for 4 hours, then reapply it.
  d. If you get acute chest pain, apply a second patch right next to the first patch.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

steff9894

Answer to Question 1

ANS: D
Isosorbide is taken sublingually and has similar actions to those of nitroglycerin.
Isosorbide mononitrate is not taken sublingually
Amyl nitrite is an inhalant only.
The patient indicated that it was not nitroglycerin.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
Patches should be rotated to prevent local irritation, and they should be applied once daily to a hairless area of skin.
Patches should be rotated to different sites to prevent local irritation.
Transdermal patches should not be taken off except as directed by the prescriber and to prevent drug tolerance, and then a specific application and removal time are indicated.
SL nitroglycerin is not indicated for acute chest pain, because a transdermal patch does not take effect for 30 to 60 minutes.

imanialler

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
:D TYSM

nguyenhoanhat

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

The top 10 most important tips that will help you grow old gracefully include (1) quit smoking, (2) keep your weight down, (3) take supplements, (4) skip a meal each day or fast 1 day per week, (5) get a pet, (6) get medical help for chronic pain, (7) walk regularly, (8) reduce arguments, (9) put live plants in your living space, and (10) do some weight training.

Did you know?

Excessive alcohol use costs the country approximately $235 billion every year.

Did you know?

In women, pharmacodynamic differences include increased sensitivity to (and increased effectiveness of) beta-blockers, opioids, selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, and typical antipsychotics.

Did you know?

Vampire bats have a natural anticoagulant in their saliva that permits continuous bleeding after they painlessly open a wound with their incisors. This capillary blood does not cause any significant blood loss to their victims.

Did you know?

Hippocrates noted that blood separates into four differently colored liquids when removed from the body and examined: a pure red liquid mixed with white liquid material with a yellow-colored froth at the top and a black substance that settles underneath; he named these the four humors (for blood, phlegm, yellow bile, and black bile).

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library