This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is reviewing the patient's medication prior to the medication pass and realizes that ... (Read 37 times)

Jkov05

The nurse is reviewing the patient's medication prior to the medication pass and realizes that gemfibrozil (Lopid) and warfarin (Coumadin) are to be administered concomitantly. This finding concerns the nurse, who is aware that the _______ will be _______

a. level of gemfibrozil; increased
  b. level of gemfibrozil; reduced
  c. anticoagulant effects; increased
  d. anticoagulant effects; reduced

Question 2

The nurse is providing patient education about colesevelam (Welchol), a bile acid sequestrant. Which statement made by the patient demonstrates a need for further teaching?

a. Colesevelam will reduce my levels of low-density lipoprotein.
  b. Colesevelam will augment my statin drug therapy.
  c. I will not have to worry about having as many drug interactions as I did when I took cholestyramine.
  d. I may have diarrhea when taking colesevelam.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

leannegxo

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
Gemfibrozil displaces warfarin from the plasma albumin, thereby increasing anticoagulant effects. The level of gemfibrozil will not be increased or decreased.
The anticoagulation effects will not be reduced, because free-floating drug is present in the system; the dosage of warfarin may need to be reduced.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: D
Colesevelam does not cause diarrhea, but it could predispose the patient to abdominal bloating, flatulence, and cramping.
Colesevelam reduces the LDL level, which is one of its therapeutic uses; no further teaching is needed.
Colesevelam augments statin therapy; no further teaching is needed.
Colesevelam does not significantly interact with or reduce the absorption of statins, digoxin, warfarin, or most other drugs; no further teaching is needed.

Jkov05

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Mochi

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

Fewer than 10% of babies are born on their exact due dates, 50% are born within 1 week of the due date, and 90% are born within 2 weeks of the date.

Did you know?

GI conditions that will keep you out of the U.S. armed services include ulcers, varices, fistulas, esophagitis, gastritis, congenital abnormalities, inflammatory bowel disease, enteritis, colitis, proctitis, duodenal diverticula, malabsorption syndromes, hepatitis, cirrhosis, cysts, abscesses, pancreatitis, polyps, certain hemorrhoids, splenomegaly, hernias, recent abdominal surgery, GI bypass or stomach stapling, and artificial GI openings.

Did you know?

Illness; diuretics; laxative abuse; hot weather; exercise; sweating; caffeine; alcoholic beverages; starvation diets; inadequate carbohydrate consumption; and diets high in protein, salt, or fiber can cause people to become dehydrated.

Did you know?

When intravenous medications are involved in adverse drug events, their harmful effects may occur more rapidly, and be more severe than errors with oral medications. This is due to the direct administration into the bloodstream.

Did you know?

Green tea is able to stop the scent of garlic or onion from causing bad breath.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library