This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is teaching a patient who has been prescribed azithromycin (Zithromax). Which statement ... (Read 43 times)

mydiamond

The nurse is teaching a patient who has been prescribed azithromycin (Zithromax). Which statement made by the patient indicates that additional teaching is needed?

a. To avoid nausea, I will take my medicine along with food.
  b. I will use another form of birth control along with my oral contraceptives.
  c. Since I only have to take this drug once a day, it will be easy to remember.
  d. To help get rid of the infection, I will spend 30 minutes each day out in the sun.

Question 2

A patient taking montelukast (Singulair) for the last 2 months has the following blood laboratory test values. Which value does the nurse report to the prescriber immediately?

a. White blood cell count of 10,500 cells/mm3
  b. Lactate dehydrogenase 950 IU/L
  c. Potassium 3.6 mEq/L
  d. Hematocrit 32

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Jbrasil

Answer to Question 1

D
Although fresh air and sunshine are important, azithromycin is a macrolide and increases skin sensitivity to the sun (photosensitivity), greatly increasing the risk for sunburn, even among pa-tients with dark skin. The nurse must teach patients to avoid direct sunlight and tanning beds while they are taking this drug and for at least 1 week after stopping the drug.

Answer to Question 2

B
The white blood cell count, lactate dehydrogenase, and hematocrit values are abnormal; however, only the lactate dehydrogenase level is very high (four to five times normal). This value indicates liver impairment. Leukotriene inhibitors can cause liver impairment. This value must be reported immediately so that liver function can be explored and any needed changes in drug therapy made before irreversible liver damage occurs.

Did you know?

The immune system needs 9.5 hours of sleep in total darkness to recharge completely.

Did you know?

For about 100 years, scientists thought that peptic ulcers were caused by stress, spicy food, and alcohol. Later, researchers added stomach acid to the list of causes and began treating ulcers with antacids. Now it is known that peptic ulcers are predominantly caused by Helicobacter pylori, a spiral-shaped bacterium that normally exist in the stomach.

Did you know?

Hippocrates noted that blood separates into four differently colored liquids when removed from the body and examined: a pure red liquid mixed with white liquid material with a yellow-colored froth at the top and a black substance that settles underneath; he named these the four humors (for blood, phlegm, yellow bile, and black bile).

Did you know?

The most dangerous mercury compound, dimethyl mercury, is so toxic that even a few microliters spilled on the skin can cause death. Mercury has been shown to accumulate in higher amounts in the following types of fish than other types: swordfish, shark, mackerel, tilefish, crab, and tuna.

Did you know?

Oliver Wendell Holmes is credited with introducing the words "anesthesia" and "anesthetic" into the English language in 1846.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library