This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is teaching a patient in whom a wound infection developed after surgery about antibiotic ... (Read 21 times)

s.tung

The nurse is teaching a patient in whom a wound infection developed after surgery about antibiotic therapy. Which statement made by the patient indicates a correct understanding of the therapy?

a. If my temperature is normal for 3 days in a row, the infection is gone and I can stop taking the drug.
  b. If my temperature goes above 100 for 2 days, I should double the dose of the drug.
  c. Even if I feel completely well, I should take the drug exactly as prescribed until it is gone.
  d. I should notify my prescriber to change the medication if I develop diarrhea while taking this drug.

Question 2

The nurse prepares to administer an intramuscular injection to a patient who is on anticoagulation therapy. Which techniques does the nurse perform to prevent excessive bleeding? (Select all that apply.)

a. Using the smallest possible injection needle
  b. Injecting the drug slowly, over at least a 60-second period
  c. Applying pressure to the site for at least 5 minutes after the injection
  d. Ensuring that the needle is placed within a previous injection puncture site
  e. Cleansing the skin at the injection site for at least 30 seconds before the injection
  f. Applying warm compresses to the site for at least 15 minutes after the injection

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

pocatato

Answer to Question 1

C
Antibiotic therapy is most effective when the patient takes the prescribed drug for the entire course and not just when symptoms are present. Most antibiotic therapy results in some degree of diarrhea. Although additional drugs may be needed to control this side effect, it is usually not necessary to stop the drug.

Answer to Question 2

A, C
Using the smallest needle possible results in less tissue trauma and less risk for bleeding. Apply-ing pressure over the injection site for at least 5 minutes after administration compresses sur-rounding blood vessels and reduces the risk for bleeding. Injecting the drug slowly can increase the risk for bleeding by traumatizing tissues longer. Placing the needle in the same puncture site as a previous injection can increase the risk for bleeding by enlarging the hole and not allowing the previously damaged tissue to heal. Cleansing the skin can reduce infection risk but does nothing to reduce bleeding risk. Applying warm compresses is more likely to increase bleeding risk by dilating blood vessels in the area. Cold compresses or ice applied to the area would reduce bleeding risk.

s.tung

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Gracias!

parshano

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

Though methadone is often used to treat dependency on other opioids, the drug itself can be abused. Crushing or snorting methadone can achieve the opiate "rush" desired by addicts. Improper use such as these can lead to a dangerous dependency on methadone. This drug now accounts for nearly one-third of opioid-related deaths.

Did you know?

Everyone has one nostril that is larger than the other.

Did you know?

Certain chemicals, after ingestion, can be converted by the body into cyanide. Most of these chemicals have been removed from the market, but some old nail polish remover, solvents, and plastics manufacturing solutions can contain these substances.

Did you know?

The top 10 most important tips that will help you grow old gracefully include (1) quit smoking, (2) keep your weight down, (3) take supplements, (4) skip a meal each day or fast 1 day per week, (5) get a pet, (6) get medical help for chronic pain, (7) walk regularly, (8) reduce arguments, (9) put live plants in your living space, and (10) do some weight training.

Did you know?

Fewer than 10% of babies are born on their exact due dates, 50% are born within 1 week of the due date, and 90% are born within 2 weeks of the date.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library