This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nurse recognizes that the actions of benzodiazepines include which of the following findings? ... (Read 8 times)

kshipps

A nurse recognizes that the actions of benzodiazepines include which of the following findings? (Select all that apply.)

a. Sleep deprivation
  b. Relief of general anxiety
  c. Suppression of seizures and/or seizure activity
  d. Development of tardive dyskinesia
  e. Increase in muscle spasms

Question 2

A patient is to continue taking sustained-released benzodiazepines at home. A nurse has provided patient education about the medication. Which statement made by the patient demonstrates the need for further teaching?

a. I can take my medicine with food to reduce stomach upset.
  b. I should take two pills if I miss a dose.
  c. I should not crush or chew my pills.
  d. I should try not to drive if I am sleepy during the day.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

kxciann

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B, C
Benzodiazepines are indicated to relieve the symptoms of general anxiety and to suppress the central nervous system, thereby suppressing seizures and/or seizure activity.
Benzodiazepines cause sleepiness, not sleep deprivation.
Benzodiazepines do not cause tardive dyskinesia.
Benzodiazepines relax muscles, they do not increase muscle spasms.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
Patients should be warned not to increase the dose or discontinue treatment of benzodiazepines without consulting the prescriber.
Benzodiazepines may be taken with food to reduce gastrointestinal or stomach upset.
Benzodiazepines should not be crushed or chewed.
Driving should be avoided when the patient is sleepy or has residual effects associated with benzodiazepines.

kshipps

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

TheNamesImani

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

Did you know?

The average older adult in the United States takes five prescription drugs per day. Half of these drugs contain a sedative. Alcohol should therefore be avoided by most senior citizens because of the dangerous interactions between alcohol and sedatives.

Did you know?

Patients who have undergone chemotherapy for the treatment of cancer often complain of a lack of mental focus; memory loss; and a general diminution in abilities such as multitasking, attention span, and general mental agility.

Did you know?

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has released reports detailing the deaths of infants (younger than 1 year of age) who died after being given cold and cough medications. This underscores the importance of educating parents that children younger than 2 years of age should never be given over-the-counter cold and cough medications without consulting their physicians.

Did you know?

Though Candida and Aspergillus species are the most common fungal pathogens causing invasive fungal disease in the immunocompromised, infections due to previously uncommon hyaline and dematiaceous filamentous fungi are occurring more often today. Rare fungal infections, once accurately diagnosed, may require surgical debridement, immunotherapy, and newer antifungals used singly or in combination with older antifungals, on a case-by-case basis.

Did you know?

Fungal nail infections account for up to 30% of all skin infections. They affect 5% of the general population—mostly people over the age of 70.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library