This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A client begins total parenteral nutrition to enhance nutritional status before surgery. The nurse ... (Read 33 times)

savannahhooper

A client begins total parenteral nutrition to enhance nutritional status before surgery. The nurse is providing teaching about this treatment. Which statement by the client indicates a need for more teaching?

a. The TPN fluid is a complete nutritional solution.
  b. I will urinate a lot because of the fluid and the sugar.
  c. I can take the IV dressing off in the shower.
  d. I need my urine and blood checked frequently.

Question 2

A nurse has checked the residual in a gastrostomy tube before providing a feeding for an adult client. The previous feeding of 240 mL was given 4 hours ago. The residual was 75 mL. What should the nurse do?

a. Administer the feeding as ordered.
  b. Stop the infusion, wait 1 hour, and check the residual again.
  c. Hold the feeding and call the physician for orders.
  d. Administer half of the ordered feeding and then check residual.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Leostella20

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
The IV dressing is sterile and must stay in place.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
If residual is more than 50 mL, stop infusion for 30 minutes to 1 hour, and then recheck.

savannahhooper

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Wow, this really help

T4T

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

Malaria mortality rates are falling. Increased malaria prevention and control measures have greatly improved these rates. Since 2000, malaria mortality rates have fallen globally by 60% among all age groups, and by 65% among children under age 5.

Did you know?

About 3% of all pregnant women will give birth to twins, which is an increase in rate of nearly 60% since the early 1980s.

Did you know?

Asthma is the most common chronic childhood disease in the world. Most children who develop asthma have symptoms before they are 5 years old.

Did you know?

Asthma attacks and symptoms usually get started by specific triggers (such as viruses, allergies, gases, and air particles). You should talk to your doctor about these triggers and find ways to avoid or get rid of them.

Did you know?

Although the Roman numeral for the number 4 has always been taught to have been "IV," according to historians, the ancient Romans probably used "IIII" most of the time. This is partially backed up by the fact that early grandfather clocks displayed IIII for the number 4 instead of IV. Early clockmakers apparently thought that the IIII balanced out the VIII (used for the number 8) on the clock face and that it just looked better.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library