This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient will begin taking finasteride (Propecia) to treat benign prostatic hypertrophy (BPH) and ... (Read 54 times)

acc299

A patient will begin taking finasteride (Propecia) to treat benign prostatic hypertrophy (BPH) and asks the nurse how long the medication will be necessary. The nurse will tell the patient that he will need to take this medication for how long?

a. 6 months
  b. 12 months
  c. Indefinitely
  d. Until symptoms resolve

Question 2

The nurse provides teaching to a man who will begin using an Androderm testosterone patch. Which statement by the patient indicates understanding of the teaching?

a. I may stop using Androderm when my serum testosterone is normal.
  b. I should apply this to any skin other than the scrotum or bony areas.
  c. I will apply two skin patches every morning after a shower.
  d. My serum testosterone will continue to rise with each day of use.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

adammoses97

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
Continued treatment with finasteride is recommended in order to sustain results since reversal of effect usually occurs within 1 year after cessation of the drug.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
Androderm should be applied to any intact skin other than the scrotum or over a bony area. When the medication is withdrawn, testosterone levels will drop. The patient should apply two patches every day at 10 PM. The first day of use results in serum testosterone levels in the normal range, and serum levels do not accumulate with continued use.

acc299

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

Did you know?

Acetaminophen (Tylenol) in overdose can seriously damage the liver. It should never be taken by people who use alcohol heavily; it can result in severe liver damage and even a condition requiring a liver transplant.

Did you know?

Pregnant women usually experience a heightened sense of smell beginning late in the first trimester. Some experts call this the body's way of protecting a pregnant woman from foods that are unsafe for the fetus.

Did you know?

Signs and symptoms that may signify an eye tumor include general blurred vision, bulging eye(s), double vision, a sensation of a foreign body in the eye(s), iris defects, limited ability to move the eyelid(s), limited ability to move the eye(s), pain or discomfort in or around the eyes or eyelids, red or pink eyes, white or cloud spots on the eye(s), colored spots on the eyelid(s), swelling around the eyes, swollen eyelid(s), and general vision loss.

Did you know?

Eating carrots will improve your eyesight. Carrots are high in vitamin A (retinol), which is essential for good vision. It can also be found in milk, cheese, egg yolks, and liver.

Did you know?

The people with the highest levels of LDL are Mexican American males and non-Hispanic black females.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library