Author Question: Which statement by a patient who will begin using an external insulin pump indicates understanding ... (Read 18 times)

clippers!

Which statement by a patient who will begin using an external insulin pump indicates understanding of this device?

a. I will have an increased risk for hypoglycemia.
  b. I will leave this on when bathing or swimming.
  c. I will not need to count carbohydrates anymore.
  d. I will still need to monitor serum glucose.

Question 2

A patient who has type 2 diabetes mellitus asks the nurse why the provider has changed the oral antidiabetic agent from tolbutamide (Orinase) to glipizide (Glucotrol). The nurse will explain that glipizide

a. has a longer duration of action.
  b. has fewer gastrointestinal side effects.
  c. may be taken on an as-needed basis.
  d. results in less hypoglycemic potential.

krakiolit

Answer to Question 1

ANS: D
Patients using an insulin pump will still monitor serum glucose and count carbohydrates. The advantage of the pump is that it is programmed to deliver continuous rapid-acting insulin in varying amounts at different times throughout the day. Changes in food intake can alter the risk for hypoglycemia if the pump is not adjusted accordingly. They must be removed when bathing or swimming.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
Glipizide is a second-generation oral antidiabetic agent. It has a longer duration of action than the first-generation antidiabetic agents such as tolbutamide. It has many gastrointestinal side effects. It is taken once daily, not as needed. It has greater hypoglycemic activity than first-generation antidiabetics.