This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is teaching a patient about taking hydrochlorothiazide. Which statement by the patient ... (Read 36 times)

vicky

The nurse is teaching a patient about taking hydrochlorothiazide . Which statement by the patient indicates a need for further teaching?

a. I may need extra sodium and calcium while taking this drug.
  b. I should eat plenty of fruits and vegetables while taking this medication.
  c. I should take care when rising from a bed or chair when I'm on this medication.
  d. I will take the medication in the morning to minimize certain side effects.

Question 2

A patient who has begun taking nifedipine (Procardia) to treat variant angina has had a recurrent blood pressure of 90/60 mm Hg or less. The nurse will anticipate that the provider will

a. add digoxin to the drug regimen.
  b. change to a beta blocker.
  c. order serum liver enzymes.
  d. switch to diltiazem (Cardizem).

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

patma1981

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
Patients do not need extra sodium or calcium while taking thiazide diuretics.
Thiazide diuretics can lead to hypokalemia, so patients should be counseled to eat fruits and vegetables that are high in potassium. Patients can develop orthostatic hypotension and should be counseled to rise from sitting or lying down slowly. Taking the medication in the morning helps to prevent nocturia-induced insomnia.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: D
Hypotension is a common effect of calcium channel blockers and is more common with nifedipine. It is less common with diltiazem, so the provider may order that drug. Adding digoxin, changing to a beta blocker, or ordering serum liver enzymes are not indicated.

Did you know?

Since 1988, the CDC has reported a 99% reduction in bacterial meningitis caused by Haemophilus influenzae, due to the introduction of the vaccine against it.

Did you know?

Anesthesia awareness is a potentially disturbing adverse effect wherein patients who have been paralyzed with muscle relaxants may awaken. They may be aware of their surroundings but unable to communicate or move. Neurologic monitoring equipment that helps to more closely check the patient's anesthesia stages is now available to avoid the occurrence of anesthesia awareness.

Did you know?

Interferon was scarce and expensive until 1980, when the interferon gene was inserted into bacteria using recombinant DNA technology, allowing for mass cultivation and purification from bacterial cultures.

Did you know?

You should not take more than 1,000 mg of vitamin E per day. Doses above this amount increase the risk of bleeding problems that can lead to a stroke.

Did you know?

Every 10 seconds, a person in the United States goes to the emergency room complaining of head pain. About 1.2 million visits are for acute migraine attacks.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library