This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient will be discharged home with albuterol (Proventil) to use for asthma symptoms. What ... (Read 30 times)

yoooooman

A patient will be discharged home with albuterol (Proventil) to use for asthma symptoms. What information will the nurse include when teaching this patient about this medication?

a. Failure to respond to the medication indicates a need for a higher dose.
  b. Monitor for hypoglycemia symptoms when using this medication.
  c. Palpitations are common with this drug even at normal, therapeutic doses.
  d. Overuse of this medication can result in airway narrowing and bronchospasm.

Question 2

The nurse is caring for a patient recently diagnosed with mild emphysema and provides teaching about the disease and medications for treatment. Which statement by the patient indicates understanding of the medication regimen?

a. I should use albuterol when my symptoms worsen.
  b. I will need to take oral prednisone on a daily basis.
  c. My provider will prescribe prophylactic antibiotics.
  d. My symptoms are reversible with proper medications.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

macmac

Answer to Question 1

ANS: D
Excessive use of an aerosol drug can occasionally cause severe paradoxical airway resistance, so patients should be cautioned against overuse. Excessive use can also lead to tolerance and loss of drug effectiveness, but patients should not increase the dose because of the risk of bronchospasm and the increased incidence of adverse effects such as tremors and tachycardia. Hyperglycemia can occur. Palpitations are common with increased doses but not at therapeutic doses.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
Albuterol is used to treat bronchospasm during symptom flares. Oral prednisone is given for acute flares but not generally on a daily basis until symptoms are chronic and severe because of the risk of adrenal suppression. Prophylactic antibiotics are not given regularly because of the risk of antibiotic resistance. Symptoms of emphysema are not reversible.

yoooooman

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Excellent

coreycathey

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Wow, this really help

Did you know?

As of mid-2016, 18.2 million people were receiving advanced retroviral therapy (ART) worldwide. This represents between 43–50% of the 34–39.8 million people living with HIV.

Did you know?

Pubic lice (crabs) are usually spread through sexual contact. You cannot catch them by using a public toilet.

Did you know?

Sperm cells are so tiny that 400 to 500 million (400,000,000–500,000,000) of them fit onto 1 tsp.

Did you know?

Cucumber slices relieve headaches by tightening blood vessels, reducing blood flow to the area, and relieving pressure.

Did you know?

The most destructive flu epidemic of all times in recorded history occurred in 1918, with approximately 20 million deaths worldwide.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library