This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient is being treated with isoniazid (INH), rifampin, and pyrazinamide in phase I of treatment ... (Read 28 times)

sabina

A patient is being treated with isoniazid (INH), rifampin, and pyrazinamide in phase I of treatment for tuberculosis. The organism develops resistance to isoniazid. Which drug will the nurse anticipate the provider will order to replace the isoniazid?

a. Ciprofloxacin (Cipro)
  b. Ethambutol (Myambutol)
  c. Kanamycin
  d. Streptomycin sulfate

Question 2

Which person should be treated with prophylactic antitubercular medication?

a. A child who attends the same school with a child who has tuberculosis
  b. A nurse who is working in a hospital
  c. An individual who is HIV-positive with a negative TB skin test
  d. A patient who has close contact with someone who has tuberculosis

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

makaylafy

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
If there is bacterial resistance to isoniazid, the first phase may be changed to ethambutol, rifampin, and pyrazinamide. Ciprofloxacin, kanamycin, and streptomycin are not generally first-line antitubercular drugs.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: D
Personal contact with a person having a diagnosis of tuberculosis is required to indicate prophylactic treatment with antitubercular therapy. Attending the same school does not necessarily mean close contact occurs. Health care professionals do not need prophylactic treatment. HIV-positive individuals with negative TB skin tests do not need prophylaxis.

sabina

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

Dnite

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

People who have myopia, or nearsightedness, are not able to see objects at a distance but only up close. It occurs when the cornea is either curved too steeply, the eye is too long, or both. This condition is progressive and worsens with time. More than 100 million people in the United States are nearsighted, but only 20% of those are born with the condition. Diet, eye exercise, drug therapy, and corrective lenses can all help manage nearsightedness.

Did you know?

Women are 50% to 75% more likely than men to experience an adverse drug reaction.

Did you know?

Normal urine is sterile. It contains fluids, salts, and waste products. It is free of bacteria, viruses, and fungi.

Did you know?

To prove that stomach ulcers were caused by bacteria and not by stress, a researcher consumed an entire laboratory beaker full of bacterial culture. After this, he did indeed develop stomach ulcers, and won the Nobel Prize for his discovery.

Did you know?

The types of cancer that alpha interferons are used to treat include hairy cell leukemia, melanoma, follicular non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, and AIDS-related Kaposi's sarcoma.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library