This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse administers nalbuphine (Nubain) to a patient who is experiencing severe pain. Which ... (Read 18 times)

maychende

The nurse administers nalbuphine (Nubain) to a patient who is experiencing severe pain. Which statement by the patient indicates a need for further teaching about this drug?

a. I may experience unusual dreams while taking this medication.
  b. I may need to use a laxative when taking this drug.
  c. I should ask for assistance when I get out of bed.
  d. I should expect to have more frequent urination.

Question 2

The nurse is caring for a patient who was admitted with a fractured leg and for observation of a closed head injury after a motor vehicle accident. The patient reports having pain at a level of 3 on a 1 to 10 pain scale.

The nurse will expect the provider to order which analgesic medication for this patient?
  a. Acetaminophen (Tylenol) PO
  b. Hydromorphone HCl (Dilaudid) IM
  c. Morphine sulfate PCA
  d. Transdermal fentanyl (Duragesic)

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

pikon

Answer to Question 1

ANS: D
A common side effect of opioid agents is urinary retention. Patients should notify the nurse if they cannot void. Side effects may include unusual dreams, constipation, and dizziness.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
Use of opioid analgesics is contraindicated for patients with head injuries because of the risk of increased intracranial pressure. If opioids are necessary because of severe pain, they must be given in reduced doses. This patient is experiencing mild pain, so acetaminophen is an appropriate analgesic.

maychende

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Gracias!

lindahyatt42

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

Cucumber slices relieve headaches by tightening blood vessels, reducing blood flow to the area, and relieving pressure.

Did you know?

There are more nerve cells in one human brain than there are stars in the Milky Way.

Did you know?

A cataract is a clouding of the eyes' natural lens. As we age, some clouding of the lens may occur. The first sign of a cataract is usually blurry vision. Although glasses and other visual aids may at first help a person with cataracts, surgery may become inevitable. Cataract surgery is very successful in restoring vision, and it is the most frequently performed surgery in the United States.

Did you know?

Despite claims by manufacturers, the supplement known as Ginkgo biloba was shown in a study of more than 3,000 participants to be ineffective in reducing development of dementia and Alzheimer’s disease in older people.

Did you know?

For high blood pressure (hypertension), a new class of drug, called a vasopeptidase blocker (inhibitor), has been developed. It decreases blood pressure by simultaneously dilating the peripheral arteries and increasing the body's loss of salt.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library