This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is evaluating a patient 2 hours after giving a dose of 30 mg of codeine with acetaminophen ... (Read 35 times)

geoffrey

The nurse is evaluating a patient 2 hours after giving a dose of 30 mg of codeine with acetaminophen for postoperative pain after abdominal surgery. The patient reports a pain level of 7 on a scale of 1 to 10.

The nurse notes a heart rate of 110 beats per minute, a respiratory rate of 28 breaths per minute, and a blood pressure of 180/90 mm Hg. Which action will the nurse take?
  a. Administer the next dose of codeine one hour early.
  b. Ask the provider if the codeine dose can be increased.
  c. Contact the provider to ask if a dose of ibuprofen may be given now.
  d. Request an order for oxycodone with acetaminophen (Percocet).

Question 2

The nurse is teaching a female patient who will begin taking 2 tablets of 325 mg acetaminophen every 4 to 6 hours as needed for pain. Which statement by the patient indicates understanding of the teaching?

a. I may take acetaminophen up to 6 times daily if needed.
  b. I should increase the dose of acetaminophen if I drink caffeinated coffee.
  c. If I take oral contraceptive pills, I should use back-up contraception.
  d. It is safe to take acetaminophen with any over-the-counter medications.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

karlss

Answer to Question 1

ANS: D
The patient is showing signs of moderate to severe pain unrelieved by codeine, so the nurse should request a more potent opioid analgesic such as oxycodone. Codeine is effective for mild to moderate pain so will not be effective for this patient even if the dose is increased. The medication should not be given more frequently than every 4 hours. Ibuprofen is used for musculoskeletal pain and not postoperative pain.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
The maximum daily dose of acetaminophen is 4000 mg. If this patient takes 650 mg/dose 6 times daily, this amount is safe. Taking acetaminophen with caffeine increases the effect of the acetaminophen. Taking acetaminophen with OCPs decreases the effect of the acetaminophen but does not diminish the effect of the OCP. Many over-the-counter medications contain acetaminophen, so patients should be advised to read labels carefully to avoid overdose.

geoffrey

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
:D TYSM

hramirez205

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Wow, this really help

Did you know?

Chronic marijuana use can damage the white blood cells and reduce the immune system's ability to respond to disease by as much as 40%. Without a strong immune system, the body is vulnerable to all kinds of degenerative and infectious diseases.

Did you know?

Sperm cells are so tiny that 400 to 500 million (400,000,000–500,000,000) of them fit onto 1 tsp.

Did you know?

The familiar sounds of your heart are made by the heart's valves as they open and close.

Did you know?

There are over 65,000 known species of protozoa. About 10,000 species are parasitic.

Did you know?

Prostaglandins were first isolated from human semen in Sweden in the 1930s. They were so named because the researcher thought that they came from the prostate gland. In fact, prostaglandins exist and are synthesized in almost every cell of the body.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library