Author Question: A parent of a child who has been taking valproic acid (Depakote) for several years calls the clinic ... (Read 57 times)

bio_gurl

A parent of a child who has been taking valproic acid (Depakote) for several years calls the clinic to report a recent recurrence of seizures and states that the child is having 3 or 4 seizures per week. The nurse will perform which action?

a. Ask the parent about to describe the child's drug regimen.
  b. Request an order for a serum valproic acid level.
  c. Suggest that the parent take the child to the emergency department.
  d. Tell the parent that the provider will increase the child's dose of Depakote.

Question 2

The nurse provides teaching for a patient who will begin taking phenytoin. Which statement by the patient indicates understanding of the teaching?

a. If I develop a rash, I should take diphenhydramine to control the itching.
  b. If I experience bleeding gums, I should stop taking the medication immediately.
  c. I may develop diabetes while I am taking this medication.
  d. I should not be alarmed if my urine turns reddish-brown.

durant1234

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
Questions pertaining to medication adherence are a no-cost, non-invasive way of troubleshooting cause of decreased drug effect. The serum drug level will be assessed next. Children may need changes in doses as they grow. The child is not in status epilepticus so does not need to go to the emergency department. The dose will not be increased until the serum drug level is known.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: D
Phenytoin will cause reddish-brown colored urine. Patients should be counseled to report a rash to the provider because it could be a serious adverse reaction. Bleeding gums are common, but patients should never stop taking anticonvulsants abruptly, or they may develop seizures. Changes in blood glucose may occur but do not necessarily result in diabetes.