This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is teaching a child and a parent about taking methylphenidate (Ritalin) to treat attention ... (Read 86 times)

neverstopbelieb

The nurse is teaching a child and a parent about taking methylphenidate (Ritalin) to treat attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). Which statement by the parent indicates understanding of the teaching?

a. I should give this drug to my child at bedtime.
  b. My child should avoid products containing caffeine.
  c. The drug should be stopped immediately if my child develops aggression.
  d. We should monitor my child's weight since weight gain is common.

Question 2

The nurse is checking an 8-year-old child who has attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) into a clinic for an annual well-child visit.

The child takes methylphenidate HCl (Ritalin). Which assessments are especially important for this child?
  a. Heart rate, respiratory rate, and oxygen saturation
  b. Height, weight, and blood pressure
  c. Measures of fine- and gross-motor development
  d. Nausea, vomiting, and gastrointestinal upset

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

ririgirl15

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
Methylphenidate is a stimulant, so other stimulants such as caffeine should be avoided because a high plasma caffeine level can be fatal. The medication should be taken in the morning. Patients should be taught not to stop the drug abruptly to avoid withdrawal symptoms. Weight loss is common.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
Methylphenidate may cause growth suppression, so the child's height and weight should be assessed. Methylphenidate may also increase blood pressure, so the nurse should pay careful attention to blood pressure.

neverstopbelieb

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

marict

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

IgA antibodies protect body surfaces exposed to outside foreign substances. IgG antibodies are found in all body fluids. IgM antibodies are the first type of antibody made in response to an infection. IgE antibody levels are often high in people with allergies. IgD antibodies are found in tissues lining the abdomen and chest.

Did you know?

Everyone has one nostril that is larger than the other.

Did you know?

Thyroid conditions may make getting pregnant impossible.

Did you know?

In 1886, William Bates reported on the discovery of a substance produced by the adrenal gland that turned out to be epinephrine (adrenaline). In 1904, this drug was first artificially synthesized by Friedrich Stolz.

Did you know?

According to the CDC, approximately 31.7% of the U.S. population has high low-density lipoprotein (LDL) or "bad cholesterol" levels.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library