This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is providing teaching to a patient being started on raloxifene (Evista). The nurse ... (Read 16 times)

formula1

The nurse is providing teaching to a patient being started on raloxifene (Evista). The nurse includes information on the potential risk for which problems? (Select all that apply.)

a. Estrogen receptorpositive breast cancer
  b. Deep vein thrombosis (DVT)
  c. Hip fractures
  d. Pulmonary embolus
  e. Cardiovascular disease

Question 2

An adult female says, I don't need contraceptives, because my cycles are as regular as clockwork. I know when I should abstain from intercourse, because I do not want to get preg-nant. Select the nurse's best response.

a. You are fortunate that your cycles are so regular. Most women are unable to rely on this approach to contraception.
  b. You are still at risk for getting a sexually transmitted disease. Let's discuss con-traceptive options that will prevent disease.
  c. Many factors can change the menstrual cycle. You're fortunate to have regular cycles, but an additional method of contraception should be used to prevent pregnancy.
  d. You have described the rhythm method of contraception. Women have used that method successfully for thousands of years.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

bd5255

Answer to Question 1

B, D
Raloxifene may increase the risk of DVT and pulmonary embolus.
Raloxifene does not increase the risk of estrogen receptorpositive breast cancer. It actually blocks the effects of estrogen in the breast tissue and thus has a protective effect.
Raloxifene does not increase the risk of hip fractures.
According to preliminary research data, raloxifene reduced the risk of cardiovascular events by 40 in women at high risk for such events.

Answer to Question 2

C
The nurse should advise the patient that she still needs additional methods of contraception to prevent pregnancy.
The cycle method is not always effective as a form of birth control.

Did you know?

About one in five American adults and teenagers have had a genital herpes infection—and most of them don't know it. People with genital herpes have at least twice the risk of becoming infected with HIV if exposed to it than those people who do not have genital herpes.

Did you know?

The senior population grows every year. Seniors older than 65 years of age now comprise more than 13% of the total population. However, women outlive men. In the 85-and-over age group, there are only 45 men to every 100 women.

Did you know?

Elderly adults are at greatest risk of stroke and myocardial infarction and have the most to gain from prophylaxis. Patients ages 60 to 80 years with blood pressures above 160/90 mm Hg should benefit from antihypertensive treatment.

Did you know?

The most common treatment options for addiction include psychotherapy, support groups, and individual counseling.

Did you know?

Signs and symptoms that may signify an eye tumor include general blurred vision, bulging eye(s), double vision, a sensation of a foreign body in the eye(s), iris defects, limited ability to move the eyelid(s), limited ability to move the eye(s), pain or discomfort in or around the eyes or eyelids, red or pink eyes, white or cloud spots on the eye(s), colored spots on the eyelid(s), swelling around the eyes, swollen eyelid(s), and general vision loss.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library