This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is caring for a patient with hypertension who takes a thiazide diuretic. In addition, the ... (Read 37 times)

Kthamas

The nurse is caring for a patient with hypertension who takes a thiazide diuretic. In addition, the patient recently was prescribed an angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitor.

The nurse knows that the patient is knowledgeable about the two drugs when he says, The ACE inhibitor a. should bring my blood pressure down further, because it is acting as a vasodila-tor.
  b. is preventing my heart from pumping so fast so I will have fewer palpitations.
  c. is increasing my angiotensin II so I can maintain a lower blood pressure.
  d. should help with my asthma, because it is causing my airways to dilate.

Question 2

The nurse describes a typical course of therapy to a patient newly diagnosed with active tuberculosis. Which description is the most accurate?

a. The course of therapy generally lasts 1 year. Four drugs are required during that period.
  b. Most patients require 4 full months of therapy, followed by 1 year of weekly tuberculin skin tests.
  c. The four-drug regimen should last for 4 weeks. If the radiograph is normal, the medications are discontinued.
  d. The entire course should take 6 months; the first 2 months with four drugs, and the last 4 months with two drugs.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Ksanderson1296

Answer to Question 1

A
ACE inhibitors further reduce blood pressure by inhibiting the conversion of angiotensin I to an-giotensin II.
Palpitations are not be affected by ACE inhibitors.
ACE inhibitors reduce angiotensin II by inhibiting the conversion of angiotensin I to angiotensin II.
ACE inhibitors do not act on the airways.

Answer to Question 2

D
The most accurate description for the course of therapy for a newly diagnosed patient is that the entire course should take 6 months; the first 2 months with 4 drugs, and the last 4 months with 2 drugs.
Therapy does not take a year or 4 full months.
Therapy takes longer than 4 weeks.

Did you know?

The Babylonians wrote numbers in a system that used 60 as the base value rather than the number 10. They did not have a symbol for "zero."

Did you know?

Although puberty usually occurs in the early teenage years, the world's youngest parents were two Chinese children who had their first baby when they were 8 and 9 years of age.

Did you know?

The top 10 most important tips that will help you grow old gracefully include (1) quit smoking, (2) keep your weight down, (3) take supplements, (4) skip a meal each day or fast 1 day per week, (5) get a pet, (6) get medical help for chronic pain, (7) walk regularly, (8) reduce arguments, (9) put live plants in your living space, and (10) do some weight training.

Did you know?

GI conditions that will keep you out of the U.S. armed services include ulcers, varices, fistulas, esophagitis, gastritis, congenital abnormalities, inflammatory bowel disease, enteritis, colitis, proctitis, duodenal diverticula, malabsorption syndromes, hepatitis, cirrhosis, cysts, abscesses, pancreatitis, polyps, certain hemorrhoids, splenomegaly, hernias, recent abdominal surgery, GI bypass or stomach stapling, and artificial GI openings.

Did you know?

The newest statin drug, rosuvastatin, has been called a superstatin because it appears to reduce LDL cholesterol to a greater degree than the other approved statin drugs.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library