This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient will begin taking immunosuppressant drugs for rheumatoid arthritis. The nurse will caution ... (Read 24 times)

nramada

A patient will begin taking immunosuppressant drugs for rheumatoid arthritis. The nurse will caution this patient to avoid which dietary supplement?

a. Black cohosh
  b. Echinacea
  c. Feverfew
  d. Glucosamine

Question 2

A patient is to begin taking doxycycline to treat a rickettsial infection. Which statement by the patient indicates a need for teaching about this drug?

a. I should consult my provider before us-ing laxatives or antacids while taking this drug.
  b. I should not take a calcium supplement or consume dairy products with this drug.
  c. I should take this drug with food to en-sure more complete absorption.
  d. If I get diarrhea, I should stop taking the drug and let my provider know imme-diately.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

juicepod

Answer to Question 1

B
Echinacea stimulates the immune system so it should not be used in patients with autoimmune disease such as RA; it also compromises the effectiveness of immunosuppressive drugs. Black cohosh, feverfew, and glucosamine are not contraindicated in patients with RA.

Answer to Question 2

C
Absorption of tetracyclines is reduced in the presence of food. The tetracyclines form insoluble chelates with calcium, iron, magnesium, aluminum, and zinc, so patients should not take tetra-cyclines with dairy products, calcium supplements, or drugs containing these minerals. Patients who experience diarrhea should stop taking the drug and notify the provider so they can be tested for C. difficile infection.

nramada

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Excellent

JaynaD87

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

Did you know?

Ether was used widely for surgeries but became less popular because of its flammability and its tendency to cause vomiting. In England, it was quickly replaced by chloroform, but this agent caused many deaths and lost popularity.

Did you know?

Excessive alcohol use costs the country approximately $235 billion every year.

Did you know?

The lipid bilayer is made of phospholipids. They are arranged in a double layer because one of their ends is attracted to water while the other is repelled by water.

Did you know?

Many medications that are used to treat infertility are injected subcutaneously. This is easy to do using the anterior abdomen as the site of injection but avoiding the area directly around the belly button.

Did you know?

The use of salicylates dates back 2,500 years to Hippocrates’s recommendation of willow bark (from which a salicylate is derived) as an aid to the pains of childbirth. However, overdosage of salicylates can harm body fluids, electrolytes, the CNS, the GI tract, the ears, the lungs, the blood, the liver, and the kidneys and cause coma or death.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library