This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient who has cystic fibrosis has a Pseudomonas aeruginosa infection and the provider has ... (Read 30 times)

casperchen82

A patient who has cystic fibrosis has a Pseudomonas aeruginosa infection and the provider has ordered aztreonam Cayston. What will the nurse teach this patient about administration of this drug?

a. Administer the drug intramuscularly twice daily.
  b. Give a daily dose every day for 28 days and then stop.
  c. Inhale the powdered drug as ordered three times each day.
  d. Use the nebulizer to administer the drug three times daily.

Question 2

A nurse provides teaching for a patient who will begin taking procainamide Procanbid for long-term suppression of a dysrhythmia. Which statement by the patient indicates a need for fur-ther teaching?

a. I need to take this drug at evenly spaced intervals around the clock.
  b. I may have increased bruising, but this is a temporary side effect.
  c. I should report pain and swelling in my joints when taking this drug.
  d. I will need to have blood tests at regular intervals while taking this drug.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Dinolord

Answer to Question 1

D
Cayston is a form of aztreonam formulated for inhalation administration for patients with cystic fibrosis who have P. aeruginosa lung infections. The reconstituted powder is given using a ne-bulizer system three times daily for 28 days followed by 28 days off. This form of the drug is not given IM. The dose is three times daily. The drug is reconstituted and administered via a nebu-lizer.

Answer to Question 2

B
Blood dyscrasias are a rare but potentially fatal side effect of procainamide and are an indication for withdrawing the drug. Procainamide should be taken around the clock at evenly spaced in-tervals. Lupus-like symptoms may occur; inflammation of the joints is one manifestation and should be reported so that antinuclear antibody (ANA) titers can be monitored. Because of the risk of lupus-like symptoms and blood dyscrasias, blood tests need to be done weekly at first and then periodically thereafter.

casperchen82

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Excellent

chereeb

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
:D TYSM

Did you know?

Though the United States has largely rejected the metric system, it is used for currency, as in 100 pennies = 1 dollar. Previously, the British currency system was used, with measurements such as 12 pence to the shilling, and 20 shillings to the pound.

Did you know?

Serum cholesterol testing in adults is recommended every 1 to 5 years. People with diabetes and a family history of high cholesterol should be tested even more frequently.

Did you know?

Acute bronchitis is an inflammation of the breathing tubes (bronchi), which causes increased mucus production and other changes. It is usually caused by bacteria or viruses, can be serious in people who have pulmonary or cardiac diseases, and can lead to pneumonia.

Did you know?

Normal urine is sterile. It contains fluids, salts, and waste products. It is free of bacteria, viruses, and fungi.

Did you know?

Medication errors are three times higher among children and infants than with adults.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library