This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nurse in an ophthalmology clinic instills an anticholinergic agent into a patient's eyes. The ... (Read 11 times)

Destiiny22

A nurse in an ophthalmology clinic instills an anticholinergic agent into a patient's eyes. The nurse provides teaching when the patient asks the reason for the drops. Which statement by the patient indicates a need for further teaching?

a. The drops help prevent my lenses from moving during the exam.
  b. The drops will cause me to have blurred vision and sensitivity to light.
  c. These drops allow the ophthalmologist to see inside my eyes.
  d. This medication anesthetizes my eyes so that the exam won't be painful.

Question 2

A nurse is teaching a patient who will begin using a fixed-dose preparation of dorzolamide and timolol Cosopt for open-angle glaucoma. Which statement by the patient indicates a need for further teaching?

a. Blurred vision, tearing, or eye dryness may occur with this medication.
  b. I may experience a bitter taste in my mouth after instilling these eye drops.
  c. I will need to instill two eye drops 3 times daily in each eye.
  d. If I notice redness in my eyes or eyelids, I should stop using these drops.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Jadwiga9

Answer to Question 1

D
Anticholinergic agents are used to provide mydriasis and cycloplegia. They do not affect the sensation of pain and do not provide anesthesia. Cycloplegia refers to paralysis of the ciliary muscle and prevents the lens from moving during the exam. The desired effects, which facilitate eye examinations, do not allow the eye to focus or to respond to light, so blurred vision and pho-tophobia occur. Mydriasis prevents the iris sphincter from contracting, allowing the examiner to see inside the eye.

Answer to Question 2

C
The fixed-dose preparation of dorzolamide and timolol is given as 1 drop twice daily. Blurred vision, tearing, eye dryness, and a bitter aftertaste are expected side effects. Redness in the eyes or eyelids indicates an allergic conjunctivitis and means that the drops should be discontinued.

Destiiny22

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Great answer, keep it coming :)

rachel

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
:D TYSM

Did you know?

The shortest mature adult human of whom there is independent evidence was Gul Mohammed in India. In 1990, he was measured in New Delhi and stood 22.5 inches tall.

Did you know?

Recent studies have shown that the number of medication errors increases in relation to the number of orders that are verified per pharmacist, per work shift.

Did you know?

The effects of organophosphate poisoning are referred to by using the abbreviations “SLUD” or “SLUDGE,” It stands for: salivation, lacrimation, urination, defecation, GI upset, and emesis.

Did you know?

According to animal studies, the typical American diet is damaging to the liver and may result in allergies, low energy, digestive problems, and a lack of ability to detoxify harmful substances.

Did you know?

Blood in the urine can be a sign of a kidney stone, glomerulonephritis, or other kidney problems.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library