This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: Which medications are most likely to cause postural hypotension? (Select all that apply.) a. ... (Read 30 times)

HCHenry

Which medications are most likely to cause postural hypotension? (Select all that apply.)

a. Minoxidil
  b. Diltiazem Cardizem
  c. Prazosin Minipress
  d. Captopril Capoten
  e. Losartan Cozaar

Question 2

A nurse is teaching a patient who is about to begin drug therapy with orlistat Xenical. The patient, whose BMI is 28, has hypertension and type 2 diabetes mellitus. Which statement by the patient indicates understanding of the teaching?

a. Dark urine and light-colored stools are expected side effects with this drug.
  b. I should stop taking this drug once my blood pressure and serum glucose have stabilized.
  c. I will need to take a multivitamin con-taining fat-soluble vitamins every day.
  d. If I have fatty or oily stools or fecal in-continence I should stop taking this drug.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

trog

Answer to Question 1

C, D, E
Postural, or orthostatic, hypotension is defined as a fall in blood pressure related to a change in position. Minoxidil and diltiazem dilate arterioles; therefore, they are not likely to cause postural hypotension. Prazosin, captopril, and losartan all reportedly can cause orthostatic hypotension.

Answer to Question 2

C
Because orlistat works by reducing fat absorption, fat-soluble vitamins are not absorbed as well. Patients should take a multivitamin containing vitamins A, D, E, and K. The increased fat is lost in stools, resulting in fatty, oily stools and fecal incontinence. These are expected side effects but are not dangerous and can be managed with bulk-forming laxatives. Orlistat is used for long-term weight loss and should be given up to 2 years to sustain weight loss. Dark urine and light-colored stools indicate possible liver damage and the need to discontinue the drug until liver damage has been ruled out.

HCHenry

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
:D TYSM

scikid

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

The B-complex vitamins and vitamin C are not stored in the body and must be replaced each day.

Did you know?

The cure for trichomoniasis is easy as long as the patient does not drink alcoholic beverages for 24 hours. Just a single dose of medication is needed to rid the body of the disease. However, without proper precautions, an individual may contract the disease repeatedly. In fact, most people develop trichomoniasis again within three months of their last treatment.

Did you know?

Stevens-Johnson syndrome and Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis syndrome are life-threatening reactions that can result in death. Complications include permanent blindness, dry-eye syndrome, lung damage, photophobia, asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, permanent loss of nail beds, scarring of mucous membranes, arthritis, and chronic fatigue syndrome. Many patients' pores scar shut, causing them to retain heat.

Did you know?

Parkinson's disease is both chronic and progressive. This means that it persists over a long period of time and that its symptoms grow worse over time.

Did you know?

Eating carrots will improve your eyesight. Carrots are high in vitamin A (retinol), which is essential for good vision. It can also be found in milk, cheese, egg yolks, and liver.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library