This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nurse is teaching a group of women about medications. The women want to know why so many drugs ... (Read 49 times)

ereecah

A nurse is teaching a group of women about medications. The women want to know why so many drugs have unpredictable effects in women. The nurse will tell them that:

a. drugs usually have more toxic effects in women.
  b. most known drug effects are based on drug trials in men.
  c. women have varying responses to drugs during menstrual cycles.
  d. women metabolize drugs more slowly.

Question 2

A nurse is providing teaching for a nondiabetic adult who develops growth hormone deficiency and who will begin treatment with somatropin Humatrope. Which statement by the patient in-dicates understanding of the teaching?

a. Intramuscular dosing is more effective than subcutaneous dosing.
  b. I will have increased muscle mass and strength as well as increased height.
  c. I will need to monitor my blood pressure frequently while taking this drug.
  d. I will need to take insulin while using this, because it causes hyperglycemia.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

meltdown117

Answer to Question 1

B
Until 1997 almost all clinical drug trials were performed in men. Women may have more toxic effects with some drugs and fewer toxic effects with others. Not all drugs are influenced by hormonal changes. Women metabolize some drugs more slowly and other drugs more quickly. Unless drug trials are performed in both women and men, the effects of drugs in women will not be clear.

Answer to Question 2

C
Growth hormone in adults causes an increase in systolic blood pressure, so patients should be taught to monitor blood pressure while taking the drug. Subcutaneous dosing is as effective as IM dosing and is preferred, because it is less painful. Although muscle mass will increase, strength and height will not. Growth hormone is diabetogenic but causes significant problems in patients with preexisting diabetes.

ereecah

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

xiaomengxian

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

Bacteria have been found alive in a lake buried one half mile under ice in Antarctica.

Did you know?

Women are 50% to 75% more likely than men to experience an adverse drug reaction.

Did you know?

Patients who cannot swallow may receive nutrition via a parenteral route—usually, a catheter is inserted through the chest into a large vein going into the heart.

Did you know?

Increased intake of vitamin D has been shown to reduce fractures up to 25% in older people.

Did you know?

More than 30% of American adults, and about 12% of children utilize health care approaches that were developed outside of conventional medicine.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library