This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient who has type 2 diabetes will begin taking glipizide Glucotrol. Which statement by the ... (Read 23 times)

Shelles

A patient who has type 2 diabetes will begin taking glipizide Glucotrol. Which statement by the patient is concerning to the nurse?

a. I will begin by taking this once daily with breakfast.
  b. It is safe to drink grapefruit juice while taking this drug.
  c. I may continue to have a glass of wine with dinner.
  d. I will need to check my blood sugar once daily or more.

Question 2

A parent asks a nurse about giving diphenhydramine Benadryl to a child to relieve cold symptoms. Which response by the nurse is correct?

a. Benadryl must be given in higher doses to provide relief for cold symptoms.
  b. Intranasal glucocorticoids are more ef-fective for treating cold symptoms.
  c. Nasal antihistamines are more effective for treating cold symptoms.
  d. Because histamine doesn't cause cold symptoms, Benadryl would not be effec-tive.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

xiazhe

Answer to Question 1

C
Glipizide is a sulfonylurea antidiabetic agent and can cause a disulfiram-like reaction when com-bined with alcohol. Patients should be taught to avoid alcohol while taking this medication. The initial dosing is once daily with breakfast. There is no drug interaction with grapefruit juice. Pa-tients will need to monitor their blood glucose.

Answer to Question 2

D
Histamine does not contribute to symptoms of infectious rhinitis; therefore, antihistamines are of no use in treating cold symptoms. Giving antihistamines in higher doses does not provide relief for infectious rhinitis. Intranasal glucocorticoids are not useful for infectious rhinitis. Nasal anti-histamines are not effective for treating infectious rhinitis.

Shelles

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
:D TYSM

coreycathey

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Wow, this really help

Did you know?

The highest suicide rate in the United States is among people ages 65 years and older. Almost 15% of people in this age group commit suicide every year.

Did you know?

Long-term mental and physical effects from substance abuse include: paranoia, psychosis, immune deficiencies, and organ damage.

Did you know?

The National Institutes of Health have supported research into acupuncture. This has shown that acupuncture significantly reduced pain associated with osteoarthritis of the knee, when used as a complement to conventional therapies.

Did you know?

Persons who overdose with cardiac glycosides have a better chance of overall survival if they can survive the first 24 hours after the overdose.

Did you know?

Interferon was scarce and expensive until 1980, when the interferon gene was inserted into bacteria using recombinant DNA technology, allowing for mass cultivation and purification from bacterial cultures.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library