This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The patient asks, Why do I feel so bloated before my menstrual period begins? I am constipated, my ... (Read 21 times)

captainjonesify

The patient asks, Why do I feel so bloated before my menstrual period begins? I am constipated, my breasts are tender, and I'm always hungry. How would the nurse best respond?

A) This is the result of the release of follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) and luteinizing hormone (LH), hormones to start your period.
  B) This is the result of estrogen release preparing your body to release an ovum.
  C) These are the effects of progesterone, a hormone released to thicken your uterine lining.
  D) This is the result of the secretory endometrium release preparing the body for pregnancy.

Question 2

An elderly patient has been taking zolpidem (Ambien) as a sleep aid for the past 2 months. On admission to the assisted-living facility, it is determined that the drug is no longer needed.

What is an important nursing consideration concerning this drug? A) Hallucinations are common.
  B) The drug needs to be withdrawn gradually.
  C) Another anxiolytic will need to be substituted.
  D) Sundowning is common with withdrawal from this drug.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

bulacsom

Answer to Question 1

C
Increased body temperature, increased appetite, breast tenderness, bloating, abdominal fullness, and constipation result from the effects associated with progesterone, which is released into the system when the follicle ruptures. These symptoms are not related to FSH and LH. Estrogen may cause mild bloating and water retention, but the more significant symptoms reported by this patient in conjunction with other symptoms is not caused by estrogen. Secretory endometrium causes production of glucose and other nutrients to nurture a growing embryo and does not produce the reported symptoms.

Answer to Question 2

B
It is important for the nurse to understand that zolpidem must be withdrawn gradually over a 2-week period after prolonged use. If chloral hydrate is stopped suddenly, it will result in serious adverse effects. Hallucinations and sundowning are not common with withdrawal of the drug. The prescriber and the patient would determine the need for chloral hydrate to be substituted for another anxiolytic.

captainjonesify

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Great answer, keep it coming :)

softEldritch

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
:D TYSM

Did you know?

Sperm cells are so tiny that 400 to 500 million (400,000,000–500,000,000) of them fit onto 1 tsp.

Did you know?

Complications of influenza include: bacterial pneumonia, ear and sinus infections, dehydration, and worsening of chronic conditions such as asthma, congestive heart failure, or diabetes.

Did you know?

Asthma occurs in one in 11 children and in one in 12 adults. African Americans and Latinos have a higher risk for developing asthma than other groups.

Did you know?

Historic treatments for rheumatoid arthritis have included gold salts, acupuncture, a diet consisting of apples or rhubarb, nutmeg, nettles, bee venom, bracelets made of copper, prayer, rest, tooth extractions, fasting, honey, vitamins, insulin, snow collected on Christmas, magnets, and electric convulsion therapy.

Did you know?

Though newer “smart” infusion pumps are increasingly becoming more sophisticated, they cannot prevent all programming and administration errors. Health care professionals that use smart infusion pumps must still practice the rights of medication administration and have other professionals double-check all high-risk infusions.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library