This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse admits a patient with septicemia (i.e., infection in the bloodstream). The patient denies ... (Read 18 times)

jjjetplane

The nurse admits a patient with septicemia (i.e., infection in the bloodstream). The patient denies any allergies and the doctor has ordered cefuroxime based on blood culture results that report the active pathogen is susceptible to this drug.

The patient asks what antibiotic was ordered, and when the nurse says cefuroxime, the patient says, Call my doctor and tell him I want vancomycin because I've been reading about drug-resistant bacteria and I don't want to take any chances. What is the nurse's best response? A) Vancomycin is a powerful drug with many adverse effects and it is reserved for when no other drug will work against the infection.
  B) There are some resistant infections that require vancomycin so you are right to prefer a stronger antibiotic.
  C) I appreciate your concern but your doctor ordered the right medication for you so don't worry about it.
  D) You can't believe anything you read on the Internet because most of it is just someone's opinion and not fact.

Question 2

The nurse provides drug teaching to the patient who will begin taking polycarbophil (FiberCon). What is the nurse's priority teaching point?

A) Do not eat or drink anything for 2 hours after taking the medication.
  B) Drink lots of water when taking the drug.
  C) Take at night before bedtime.
  D) The drug can be taken up to six times per day.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

kaillie

Answer to Question 1

A
The patient is right in saying that vancomycin is effective against drug-resistant bacteria but needs help to understand that he or she does not have a resistant infection as indicated by the culture and sensitivity and that use of such a powerful drug when it is not needed increases risk of developing a vancomycin-resistant infection. It is never right to tell a patient not to worry because they have every right to participate in his or her own care and should not be patronized. Although some information on the Internet may not be accurate, it would be incorrect to say it is all just someone's opinion and not fact, especially given that the patient's information is accurate.

Answer to Question 2

B
Patients must take plenty of water with polycarbophil. If only a little water is consumed, the medication may absorb enough fluid in the esophagus to swell the food into a gelatin-like mass that can cause obstruction and other severe problems. The drug should be taken no more than four times a day and should not be taken at night.

jjjetplane

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Mochi

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

Individuals are never “cured” of addictions. Instead, they learn how to manage their disease to lead healthy, balanced lives.

Did you know?

When taking monoamine oxidase inhibitors, people should avoid a variety of foods, which include alcoholic beverages, bean curd, broad (fava) bean pods, cheese, fish, ginseng, protein extracts, meat, sauerkraut, shrimp paste, soups, and yeast.

Did you know?

The term pharmacology is derived from the Greek words pharmakon("claim, medicine, poison, or remedy") and logos ("study").

Did you know?

The most common treatment options for addiction include psychotherapy, support groups, and individual counseling.

Did you know?

For about 100 years, scientists thought that peptic ulcers were caused by stress, spicy food, and alcohol. Later, researchers added stomach acid to the list of causes and began treating ulcers with antacids. Now it is known that peptic ulcers are predominantly caused by Helicobacter pylori, a spiral-shaped bacterium that normally exist in the stomach.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library