This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The patient in the clinic receives a prescription for an anti-infective to treat a urinary tract ... (Read 25 times)

sarasara

The patient in the clinic receives a prescription for an anti-infective to treat a urinary tract infection.

The patient asks the nurse, Would you ask the doctor to give me refills on this prescription? I get a urinary tract infection almost once a year it seems and I'd like to have a refill I can store for the next time so I don't have to come back to the clinic. What is the nurse's priority response? A) Sure, I'd be glad to ask. How many refills would you like to have?
  B) Most medications, if not used, should be discarded after a year so it is better to get a new prescription next year when you need it.
  C) This antibiotic doesn't destroy every pathogen that could cause a urinary tract infection so it is better to get the right antibiotic next time.
  D) Saving antibiotics for another time and self-diagnosing when antibiotics are needed lead to resistant organisms that no longer respond to drugs.

Question 2

The nurse admits to the clinic a 7-month-old infant whose mother reports that the baby has not had a bowel movement in 6 days. What drug would be appropriate to treat this patient?

A) Cascara (generic)
  B) Magnesium hydroxide (Milk of Magnesia)
  C) Polyethylene glycol-electrolyte solution (GoLYTELY)
  D) Glycerin (Sani-Supp)

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

juiceman1987

Answer to Question 1

D
Option A is incorrect because the patient should not be given refills to use indiscriminately. The remaining options are all important teaching points for this patient, but the priority is teaching this patient about drug-resistant organisms and how they can be prevented, as well as what happens if an infection results from a resistant organism.

Answer to Question 2

D
Glycerin suppositories are the best choice for infants and young children when constipation is a problem. The other choices are not recommended for infants or children.

sarasara

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
:D TYSM

flexer1n1

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

Did you know?

The most destructive flu epidemic of all times in recorded history occurred in 1918, with approximately 20 million deaths worldwide.

Did you know?

According to the Migraine Research Foundation, migraines are the third most prevalent illness in the world. Women are most affected (18%), followed by children of both sexes (10%), and men (6%).

Did you know?

There are major differences in the metabolism of morphine and the illegal drug heroin. Morphine mostly produces its CNS effects through m-receptors, and at k- and d-receptors. Heroin has a slight affinity for opiate receptors. Most of its actions are due to metabolism to active metabolites (6-acetylmorphine, morphine, and morphine-6-glucuronide).

Did you know?

Complications of influenza include: bacterial pneumonia, ear and sinus infections, dehydration, and worsening of chronic conditions such as asthma, congestive heart failure, or diabetes.

Did you know?

Children with strabismus (crossed eyes) can be treated. They are not able to outgrow this condition on their own, but with help, it can be more easily corrected at a younger age. It is important for infants to have eye examinations as early as possible in their development and then another at age 2 years.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library