Author Question: The nurse has provided patient teaching for a patient who will be discharged to home on an ... (Read 11 times)

jho37

The nurse has provided patient teaching for a patient who will be discharged to home on an anti-infective. What statement made by the patient indicates the nurse needs to provide additional teaching concerning the use of anti-infectives?

A) Antibiotics will not help me when I have a viral infection.
  B) A bacterial culture will be done before antibiotics are prescribed for me.
  C) I could develop diarrhea as a result of taking an antibiotic.
  D) I will stop taking the antibiotic as soon as I feel better.

Question 2

The nurse is caring for a patient taking ezetimibe (Zetia) and monitors the patient for what common adverse effects?

A) Bloating and flank pain
  B) Neuropathy and flatulence
  C) Mild abdominal pain and diarrhea
  D) Constipation and flank pain

cat123

Answer to Question 1

D
Compliance with anti-infective therapy is a concern. Patients tend to stop taking the drugs when they begin to feel better. A nurse should instruct the patient to take the entire course of prescribed drug to ensure a sufficient period to rid the body of pathogens and to help prevent the development of resistance. Antibiotics are not prescribed for viral infections. It is important that cultures be performed before antibiotics are prescribed to determine what organism is causing the infection so that the correct drug is prescribed. Diarrhea is the most common adverse effect from anti-infectives.

Answer to Question 2

C
The most common adverse effects of ezetimibe are mild abdominal pain and diarrhea. Bloating and flatulence are associated with bile acid sequestrants and the fibrates. Constipation is usually associated with bile acid sequestrants. Neuropathy and flank pain are usually not associated with lipid-lowering agents.