This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nursing instructor is discussing bronchodilators with a group of nursing students. The students ... (Read 81 times)

khang

The nursing instructor is discussing bronchodilators with a group of nursing students. The students understand the instruction when they identify what drug is most effective in treating acute bronchospasm?

A) Ipratropium bromide (Atrovent)
  B) Epinephrine (Adrenalin)
  C) Cromolyn (Intal)
  D) Ephedrine

Question 2

A patient with migraine headaches is changed from an ergot to a prescription for a triptan. The nurse has completed teaching related to the drug. What statement would indicate she has a clear understanding of the new drug?

A) My life is over. I can't function not knowing when I'm going to have a headache.
  B) I will not have to avoid driving because this medication isn't sedating.
  C) I should not experience as many adverse effects from my new medication.
  D) I take my medication every hour when I have a headache.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

emilymalinowski12

Answer to Question 1

B
Epinephrine may be injected subcutaneously in an acute attack of bronchoconstriction, with therapeutic effects in 5 minutes that last 4 hours. It is considered the drug of choice for the treatment of acute bronchospasm. Ipratropium bromide has an onset of action of 15 minutes when inhaled with a duration of 3 to 4 hours. Cromolyn is not for use during acute times of bronchospasm but is used to help prevent bronchospasm. Ephedrine can be used in acute bronchospasm but epinephrine remains the drug of choice.

Answer to Question 2

C
Triptans are a new class of selective serotonin receptor blockers that cause vasoconstriction; they are not associated with as many systemic adverse effects experienced in ergot therapy. Triptan therapy will enable her to live a near normal life even during headaches. Although adverse effects are fewer than those associated with ergot therapy, triptans can still cause dizziness, feelings of strangeness, and vertigo, so the patient should not drive while taking the drug. Medications are often only taken once due to prolonged half-lives, but some may be repeated in 2 to 4 hours if the headache does not subside.

Did you know?

A cataract is a clouding of the eyes' natural lens. As we age, some clouding of the lens may occur. The first sign of a cataract is usually blurry vision. Although glasses and other visual aids may at first help a person with cataracts, surgery may become inevitable. Cataract surgery is very successful in restoring vision, and it is the most frequently performed surgery in the United States.

Did you know?

The top five reasons that children stay home from school are as follows: colds, stomach flu (gastroenteritis), ear infection (otitis media), pink eye (conjunctivitis), and sore throat.

Did you know?

Calcitonin is a naturally occurring hormone. In women who are at least 5 years beyond menopause, it slows bone loss and increases spinal bone density.

Did you know?

Children of people with alcoholism are more inclined to drink alcohol or use hard drugs. In fact, they are 400 times more likely to use hard drugs than those who do not have a family history of alcohol addiction.

Did you know?

Pope Sylvester II tried to introduce Arabic numbers into Europe between the years 999 and 1003, but their use did not catch on for a few more centuries, and Roman numerals continued to be the primary number system.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library