This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The patient calls the clinic nurse and says, I looked this medication up on the Internet after it ... (Read 92 times)

hbsimmons88

The patient calls the clinic nurse and says, I looked this medication up on the Internet after it was prescribed yesterday and there is nothing in the literature about this drug being used to treat my disorder.

Should I still take it? What is the nurse's best response? A) No, stop taking it immediately until I can consult with the doctor because it is obvious a mistake was made.
  B) Oh, that's okay. Go ahead and take it because the doctor wouldn't order it if he or she didn't think it would be effective.
  C) It is quite common for drugs to be found to have positive effects for a condition not originally intended so it is safe to take.
  D) Let me talk with the physician about why this medication was ordered for you and I will call you back.

Question 2

The nurse is caring for a 66-pound child with orders for choline magnesium trisalicylate (Tricosal). The orders read 50 mg/kg/d PO in two divided doses. How many milligram will the patient receive per dose?

A) 250 mg
  B) 500 mg
  C) 750 mg
  D) 1,000 mg

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

dpost18

Answer to Question 1

D
Off-label use is relatively common because new information is gathered when the drug is used by large numbers of people that may indicate another condition for which the drug is effective. However, if the nurse does not know for a fact that the drug prescribed is the right drug for the patient's condition, it is always best to consult with the prescriber to make sure the patient is taking the right drug and to avoid a medication error. The medication may be perfectly safe so the patient should not be told the doctor made a mistake.

Answer to Question 2

C
First, the nurse must determine the child's weight in kilogram. One kg is equal to 2.2 pounds. Divide 2.2 into 66 to equal 30 kg. Multiply 50 mg times 30 kg to equal 1,500 mg. Divide 1,500 by 2 for the divided doses, which will equal 750 mg per dose.

hbsimmons88

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Great answer, keep it coming :)

laurnthompson

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

More than 34,000 trademarked medication names and more than 10,000 generic medication names are in use in the United States.

Did you know?

Women are 50% to 75% more likely than men to experience an adverse drug reaction.

Did you know?

The average older adult in the United States takes five prescription drugs per day. Half of these drugs contain a sedative. Alcohol should therefore be avoided by most senior citizens because of the dangerous interactions between alcohol and sedatives.

Did you know?

About 60% of newborn infants in the United States are jaundiced; that is, they look yellow. Kernicterus is a form of brain damage caused by excessive jaundice. When babies begin to be affected by excessive jaundice and begin to have brain damage, they become excessively lethargic.

Did you know?

Signs and symptoms that may signify an eye tumor include general blurred vision, bulging eye(s), double vision, a sensation of a foreign body in the eye(s), iris defects, limited ability to move the eyelid(s), limited ability to move the eye(s), pain or discomfort in or around the eyes or eyelids, red or pink eyes, white or cloud spots on the eye(s), colored spots on the eyelid(s), swelling around the eyes, swollen eyelid(s), and general vision loss.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library