This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The patient has edema resulting from heart failure (HF) in both ankles. The nurse interprets this to ... (Read 25 times)

Alainaaa8

The patient has edema resulting from heart failure (HF) in both ankles. The nurse interprets this to mean the hydrostatic pressure is higher than what opposing pressure?

A) Pulse pressure
  B) Edema pressure
  C) Fluid pressure
  D) Oncotic pressure

Question 2

A patient is taking chloroquine (Aralen) for rheumatoid arthritis. What problem reported by the patient would the nurse suspect may be an adverse reaction of the medication?

A) I have to urinate all the time.
  B) Sometimes I have blurred vision.
  C) I have tingling in my arms and legs.
  D) Sometimes I feel like I am off balance.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Ashley I

Answer to Question 1

D
Hydrostatic pressure pushing fluid out of the capillary is soon higher than the oncotic pressure that is trying to pull the fluid back into the vessel, causing fluid to be lost into the tissues. This shift of fluid accounts for the edema seen in association with HF. This transfer of fluid in the capillaries, called the capillary fluid shift, is carefully regulated by a balance between hydrostatic (fluid pressure) forces on the arterial end of the capillary and oncotic pressure (the pulling pressure of the large, vascular proteins) on the venous end of the capillary. Pulse pressure has nothing to do with edema. Edema pressure and fluid pressure do not exist.

Answer to Question 2

B
Chloroquine (Aralen) can cause ocular toxicity with blurring of vision, color vision changes, corneal damage, and blindness. Increased urination, tingling, and numbness are signs of hyperkalemia and hypokalemia. Loss of balance can be caused by auditory damage due to drug toxicity.

Alainaaa8

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

xiaomengxian

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

Although puberty usually occurs in the early teenage years, the world's youngest parents were two Chinese children who had their first baby when they were 8 and 9 years of age.

Did you know?

Human neurons are so small that they require a microscope in order to be seen. However, some neurons can be up to 3 feet long, such as those that extend from the spinal cord to the toes.

Did you know?

There are 60,000 miles of blood vessels in every adult human.

Did you know?

According to the Migraine Research Foundation, migraines are the third most prevalent illness in the world. Women are most affected (18%), followed by children of both sexes (10%), and men (6%).

Did you know?

Giardia is one of the most common intestinal parasites worldwide, and infects up to 20% of the world population, mostly in poorer countries with inadequate sanitation. Infections are most common in children, though chronic Giardia is more common in adults.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library