This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: Memantine hydrochloride (Namenda) has been prescribed for a 63-year-old patient who has a confirmed ... (Read 38 times)

CharlieWard

Memantine hydrochloride (Namenda) has been prescribed for a 63-year-old patient who has a confirmed diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease. What would be the target dose for this patient?

A) 5 mg/d
  B) 10 mg b.i.d.
  C) 15 mg/d
  D) 20 mg b.i.d.

Question 2

The nurse is caring for a patient in the ICU; hypotension may be anticipated when the patient's body produces insufficient quantities of what hormone?

A) Calcitonin hormone
  B) Antidiuretic hormone (ADH)
  C) Growth hormone
  D) Melanocyte-stimulating hormone

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

kardosa007

Answer to Question 1

B
The drug is started at 5 mg/d PO, increasing by 5 mg/d at weekly intervals. The target dose is 20 mg/d given as 10 mg b.i.d.

Answer to Question 2

B
Antidiuretic hormone is released from the pituitary gland resulting from reduced plasma volume or increased plasma osmotic pressure, so it serves to help maintain blood pressure. Angiotensin II also releases aldosterone from the cortex of the suprarenal gland, which causes retention of sodium and water, leading to the release of ADH to retain water and increase blood volume. Calcitonin maintains a dense, hard bone matrix and lowers blood calcium levels. Growth hormone regulates cell division and protein synthesis necessary for normal growth. Melanocyte-stimulating hormone causes skin pigmentation in humans.

CharlieWard

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

brbarasa

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
:D TYSM

Did you know?

About 60% of newborn infants in the United States are jaundiced; that is, they look yellow. Kernicterus is a form of brain damage caused by excessive jaundice. When babies begin to be affected by excessive jaundice and begin to have brain damage, they become excessively lethargic.

Did you know?

A good example of polar molecules can be understood when trying to make a cake. If water and oil are required, they will not mix together. If you put them into a measuring cup, the oil will rise to the top while the water remains on the bottom.

Did you know?

Earwax has antimicrobial properties that reduce the viability of bacteria and fungus in the human ear.

Did you know?

Acetaminophen (Tylenol) in overdose can seriously damage the liver. It should never be taken by people who use alcohol heavily; it can result in severe liver damage and even a condition requiring a liver transplant.

Did you know?

All patients with hyperparathyroidism will develop osteoporosis. The parathyroid glands maintain blood calcium within the normal range. All patients with this disease will continue to lose calcium from their bones every day, and there is no way to prevent the development of osteoporosis as a result.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library