This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is caring for a 55-year-old patient receiving metoprolol (Lopressor). What statement by ... (Read 23 times)

sammy

The nurse is caring for a 55-year-old patient receiving metoprolol (Lopressor). What statement by the patient would lead the nurse to believe that he needs additional instruction?

A) If I have side effects from the medication, I will contact my physician before I stop taking it.
  B) I can take over-the-counter (OTC) cold medication while on metoprolol.
  C) I will take the medication on an empty stomach.
  D) I will report a weight gain of 2 pounds or more in 1 week.

Question 2

A nurse is caring for a patient who has been receiving a drug by the intramuscular route but will receive the drug orally after discharge. How does the nurse explain the increased dosage prescribed for the oral dose?

A) Passive diffusion
  B) Active transport
  C) Glomerular filtration
  D) First-pass effect

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

mathjasmine

Answer to Question 1

B
OTC medications can interact to increase or decrease the effects of antiadrenergic drugs. Antacids decrease the effects of beta-adrenergic blocking drugs. Decreased antihypertensive effects result when taken with ibuprofen. Other options reflect correct statements and would not indicate that the patient would need further instruction.

Answer to Question 2

D
The first-pass effect involves drugs that are absorbed from the small intestine directly into the portal venous system, which delivers the drug molecules to the liver. After reaching the liver, enzymes break the drug into metabolites, which may become active or may be deactivated and readily excreted from the body. A large percentage of the oral dose is usually destroyed and never reaches tissues. Oral dosages account for the phenomenon to ensure an appropriate amount of the drug in the body to produce a therapeutic action. Passive diffusion is the major process through which drugs are absorbed into the body. Active transport is a process that uses energy to actively move a molecule across a cell membrane and is often involved in drug excretion in the kidney. Glomerular filtration is the passage of water and water-soluble components from the plasma into the renal tubule.

sammy

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Great answer, keep it coming :)

cdmart10

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

Did you know?

For high blood pressure (hypertension), a new class of drug, called a vasopeptidase blocker (inhibitor), has been developed. It decreases blood pressure by simultaneously dilating the peripheral arteries and increasing the body's loss of salt.

Did you know?

The effects of organophosphate poisoning are referred to by using the abbreviations “SLUD” or “SLUDGE,” It stands for: salivation, lacrimation, urination, defecation, GI upset, and emesis.

Did you know?

Today, nearly 8 out of 10 pregnant women living with HIV (about 1.1 million), receive antiretrovirals.

Did you know?

Persons who overdose with cardiac glycosides have a better chance of overall survival if they can survive the first 24 hours after the overdose.

Did you know?

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has released reports detailing the deaths of infants (younger than 1 year of age) who died after being given cold and cough medications. This underscores the importance of educating parents that children younger than 2 years of age should never be given over-the-counter cold and cough medications without consulting their physicians.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library