This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is caring for a patient who was referred to a psychiatrist for treatment of a severe ... (Read 17 times)

cagreen833

The nurse is caring for a patient who was referred to a psychiatrist for treatment of a severe anxiety disorder. What medication does the nurse consider appropriate for this patient?

A) Chlorpromazine (Thorazine) 25 mg three times daily orally
  B) Benztropine (Cogentin) 2 mg twice daily orally
  C) Clozapine (Clozaril) 200 mg twice daily orally
  D) Paroxetine (Paxil) 10 mg once daily orally

Question 2

The nurse provides patient teaching for a patient who has a new order for nadolol (Corgard) to treat hypertension. What statement by the patient concerning nadolol (Corgard) would indicate that the teaching has been effective?

A) I should cover my head at all times while I am outdoors.
  B) Since I am taking this drug, I no longer need to worry about diet and exercise.
  C) I will not stop taking this drug abruptly and will talk to my doctor before discontinuing.
  D) I may have a very dry mouth while taking this drug.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Chou

Answer to Question 1

D
Paroxetine is a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor indicated for the treatment of depression, obsessive compulsive disorder, panic attacks, bulimia, premenstrual dysphoria disorder, posttraumatic stress disorders, social phobias, and social anxiety disorders. Chlorpromazine and clozapine are antipsychotic medications whereas benztropine is a drug used to treat Parkinson's disease. None of these would be appropriate options to treat anxiety disorders.

Answer to Question 2

C
A patient receiving an adrenergic blocker must be aware that abruptly stopping the medication may result in a serious reaction. When changing medications or discontinuing their use, these drugs need to be tapered off gradually. This drug is not associated with photophobia or the anticholinergic effect of dry mouth. If the teaching were effective, the patient would be aware that he would need to continue lifestyle modifications, including diet and exercise.

cagreen833

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

fatboyy09

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

When taking monoamine oxidase inhibitors, people should avoid a variety of foods, which include alcoholic beverages, bean curd, broad (fava) bean pods, cheese, fish, ginseng, protein extracts, meat, sauerkraut, shrimp paste, soups, and yeast.

Did you know?

Nearly 31 million adults in America have a total cholesterol level that is more than 240 mg per dL.

Did you know?

Famous people who died from poisoning or drug overdose include, Adolf Hitler, Socrates, Juan Ponce de Leon, Marilyn Monroe, Judy Garland, and John Belushi.

Did you know?

Liver spots have nothing whatsoever to do with the liver. They are a type of freckles commonly seen in older adults who have been out in the sun without sufficient sunscreen.

Did you know?

On average, the stomach produces 2 L of hydrochloric acid per day.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library