This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient has suffered a severe laceration to his thumb and index finger during a workplace ... (Read 20 times)

kodithompson

A patient has suffered a severe laceration to his thumb and index finger during a workplace accident, and local anesthetic is to be utilized to facilitate suturing.

Which of the patient's following statements should prompt the nurse to provide further health education? A) I have to admit I'm relieved that they'll be freezing my hand before they stitch it up.
  B) I'm feeling pretty queasy about getting stitches, so I'm glad they'll be knocking me out.
  C) They told me that it will take a few hours before I can feel my hand again.
  D) If I understand correctly, I won't be able to move my hand normally for a while after getting the anesthesia.

Question 2

Following the administration of pentazocine (Talwin) to a patient with moderate pain, the nurse should assess for what change in the patient's vital signs?

A) Increased blood pressure
  B) Decreased oxygen saturation
  C) Increased temperature
  D) Increased respiratory rate

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

onowka

Answer to Question 1

B
Local anesthesia is differentiated from general anesthesia in that there is no loss of consciousness. Freezing is an accurate description. Normal motor control and sensation return after a period of time.

Answer to Question 2

A
Talwin may cause increased blood pressure. It does not typically cause deoxygenation, fever, or tachypnea.

Did you know?

The word drug comes from the Dutch word droog (meaning "dry"). For centuries, most drugs came from dried plants, hence the name.

Did you know?

Long-term mental and physical effects from substance abuse include: paranoia, psychosis, immune deficiencies, and organ damage.

Did you know?

Street names for barbiturates include reds, red devils, yellow jackets, blue heavens, Christmas trees, and rainbows. They are commonly referred to as downers.

Did you know?

Cancer has been around as long as humankind, but only in the second half of the twentieth century did the number of cancer cases explode.

Did you know?

Historic treatments for rheumatoid arthritis have included gold salts, acupuncture, a diet consisting of apples or rhubarb, nutmeg, nettles, bee venom, bracelets made of copper, prayer, rest, tooth extractions, fasting, honey, vitamins, insulin, snow collected on Christmas, magnets, and electric convulsion therapy.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library