Author Question: A patient is suspected of having Cushing's disease. What hormone is used in the diagnosis of this ... (Read 17 times)

Haya94

A patient is suspected of having Cushing's disease. What hormone is used in the diagnosis of this disorder?

A) Growth hormone
  B) Adrenocorticotropic hormone
  C) Thyroid-stimulating hormone
  D) Corticotropin-releasing hormone

Question 2

A 40-year-old patient has a body mass index that classifies him as being severely obese. For several months, the patient has been working with an interdisciplinary team in an effort to lose weight, but he has experienced nominal success.

His physician has proposed the use of orlistat, and the nurse has conducted appropriate health education. What statement by the patient indicates a need for further teaching? A) They explained to me that I have to take the medicine with my meals.
  B) I'm excited that I won't have to cut down on my favorite fried foods anymore.
  C) It still amazes me that you can take a pill that will actually help you lose weight.
  D) If I understand correctly, these pills will help me lower my cholesterol as well as lose weight.

elizabethrperez

Answer to Question 1

D
Corticotropin-releasing hormone can be used in the diagnosis of Cushing's disease. Growth hormone is released in response to low blood levels of growth hormone. Corticotropin-releasing hormone causes the release of corticotropin (adrenocorticotropic hormone) in response to stress. Thyroid-stimulating hormone regulates the secretion of thyroid hormones.

Answer to Question 2

B
It is necessary to decrease consumption of high-fat foods when taking orlistat because total caloric intake is a major determinant of weight, and adverse effects (e.g., diarrhea; fatty, malodorous stools) worsen with consumption of a large amount of fat. The patient's other listed statements are accurate.