This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The physician has ordered scopolamine transdermally for motion sickness. Which of the following ... (Read 40 times)

haleyc112

The physician has ordered scopolamine transdermally for motion sickness. Which of the following statements by the patient indicates an understanding of the medication's administration guideline?

A) I will place it on my chest each morning.
  B) I will use it when I am sick to my stomach.
  C) I will change the patch every 4 hours.
  D) I will change the patch every 3 days.

Question 2

A middle-aged woman with a family history of breast cancer has told the nurse that she has begun taking 250 mg of vitamin E each day in an effort to prevent cancer. How should the nurse best respond to this woman's statement?

A) Good for you. You're to be commended for being so proactive with your health.
  B) If you do this, it's best to take several smaller doses during the day rather than one big dose.
  C) Unfortunately, high doses of vitamins haven't been shown to protect against disease.
  D) This is actually quite a dangerous practice, and might increase, rather than decrease, your cancer risk.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

ong527

Answer to Question 1

D
Scopolamine is used for motion sickness. The disk (Transderm-V) protects against motion sickness for 72 hours. The scopolamine patch is applied behind the ear, not to the chest. The patch is used prior to the patient experiencing nausea. The patch is not changed every 4 hours.

Answer to Question 2

C
People should never self-prescribe megavitamins, large doses of vitamins in excess of the recommended dietary allowance (RDA). This practice does not, however, increase an individual's risk of cancer.

Did you know?

Patients should never assume they are being given the appropriate drugs. They should make sure they know which drugs are being prescribed, and always double-check that the drugs received match the prescription.

Did you know?

Although puberty usually occurs in the early teenage years, the world's youngest parents were two Chinese children who had their first baby when they were 8 and 9 years of age.

Did you know?

About 80% of major fungal systemic infections are due to Candida albicans. Another form, Candida peritonitis, occurs most often in postoperative patients. A rare disease, Candida meningitis, may follow leukemia, kidney transplant, other immunosuppressed factors, or when suffering from Candida septicemia.

Did you know?

The use of salicylates dates back 2,500 years to Hippocrates’s recommendation of willow bark (from which a salicylate is derived) as an aid to the pains of childbirth. However, overdosage of salicylates can harm body fluids, electrolytes, the CNS, the GI tract, the ears, the lungs, the blood, the liver, and the kidneys and cause coma or death.

Did you know?

In most cases, kidneys can recover from almost complete loss of function, such as in acute kidney (renal) failure.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library