Author Question: A patient is instructed to take diphenhydramine (Benadryl) after an allergic reaction. Which of the ... (Read 31 times)

rl

A patient is instructed to take diphenhydramine (Benadryl) after an allergic reaction. Which of the following statements by the patient indicates successful teaching concerning the safe and effective use of diphenhydramine?

A) I will still be able to have my after-dinner drink with this medication.
  B) I will eat a diet low in sodium while taking this medication.
  C) I should not drive my car after taking this medication.
  D) I can take this medication every 2 hours until I feel better.

Question 2

A woman is not progressing in her labor. She is to be administered oxytocin. What is the goal of oxytocin therapy?

A) Prevent postpartum bleeding
  B) Decrease fetal hyperactivity
  C) 34 contractions every 10 minutes
  D) Diminished periods of relaxation

amandanbreshears

Answer to Question 1

C
The administration of diphenhydramine (Benadryl) causes drowsiness, and the patient should not operate machinery, such as driving. The patient should not combine diphenhydramine with alcohol due to central nervous system depression. The patient will not need to limit sodium with this medication. The patient should adhere to the dosing schedule and not take the medication every 2 hours.

Answer to Question 2

C