This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient is admitted to the hospital for cardiac surgery. He develops confusion and shaking. He ... (Read 12 times)

Garrulous

A patient is admitted to the hospital for cardiac surgery. He develops confusion and shaking. He states, I see bugs up and down the walls. They are going to get me. The nurse suspects the patient is suffering from what symptom?

A) Depression
  B) Delusions
  C) Delirium
  D) Schizophrenia

Question 2

In Phase I clinical trials, the potential uses and effects of a new drug are determined by which of the following methods?

A) Administering doses to healthy volunteers
  B) Administering doses to people with the disease
  C) Administering in placebo-controlled design
  D) Calculating the risk-to-benefit ratio

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

mcarey591

Answer to Question 1

C

Answer to Question 2

A
Phase I studies allow for the administration of the medication to healthy volunteers to determine safe dosages, routes of administration, absorption, metabolism, excretion, and toxicity. In Phase II studies, a few doses are given to a certain number of subjects with the disease or symptom for which the drug is being studied and responses are compared with those of healthy subjects. Placebo-controlled designs are used in the Phase III studies, in which half of the subjects receive the new drug and half receive the placebo. Calculating the risk-to-benefit ratio is used in Phase II studies to determine whether the potential benefits of the drug outweigh the risks.

Did you know?

Always store hazardous household chemicals in their original containers out of reach of children. These include bleach, paint, strippers and products containing turpentine, garden chemicals, oven cleaners, fondue fuels, nail polish, and nail polish remover.

Did you know?

Thyroid conditions cause a higher risk of fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome.

Did you know?

The heart is located in the center of the chest, with part of it tipped slightly so that it taps against the left side of the chest.

Did you know?

People with alcoholism are at a much greater risk of malnutrition than are other people and usually exhibit low levels of most vitamins (especially folic acid). This is because alcohol often takes the place of 50% of their daily intake of calories, with little nutritional value contained in it.

Did you know?

Though “Krazy Glue” or “Super Glue” has the ability to seal small wounds, it is not recommended for this purpose since it contains many substances that should not enter the body through the skin, and may be harmful.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library